Telecommuting/ WFH and Remote Work

Were those people performing in the office?

2 Likes

I hated being micromanaged and would get out from under such bosses as quickly as I could. Thus, I avoided doing it to those who reported to me.

However, in my life long work experience, I found that people are naturally lazy. Myself included.

I wanted to believe differently. But found that, if I didn’t keep pretty close track of those who reported to me, productivity wouldn’t be very good. With few exceptions.

WFH just makes it to easy to be lazy. And, without the daily face-to-face interactions, disenfranchises people. Despite what it’s advocates say.

Satellite offices or distant facilities were hard enough to keep in the fold. Having a team of people, all of on their own individually would be multiple times worse.

3 Likes

pls tell me what’s your estimate of wfh % in the whole non-farm payroll.

Before covid, I have seen in many occasions ppl taking coffee break multiple times and having casual chat for a long time. Shall I conclude going to office is bad? If there’s some problem with the employee we have to talk to them and fix that instead of blaming WFH

my company became full remote. I am yet to see those examples you mentioned. Everything going good as of now.

1 Like

I suspect fully remote will turn out better than hybrid. Everyone will attend meetings on Zoom instead of half in a conference room half on Zoom. Workflow will get retooled to make things work. But everyone is on the same page and that makes things easier. Hybrid on the other hand just seems neither here nor there. How to sync a team that’s partly on site, partly remote seems hard.

But most big legacy companies like Google and Apple can’t, or don’t want to go fully remote. Plus, I suspect folks who show up physically in office will just bond with their superiors better. It’s just human nature. Fully remote doesn’t have that problem because management will also be remote.

In Hybrid, in my experience, it’s the number of business days at office/site in a week that are lower not the number of people on a team at the same time at one physical location.

1 Like

I agree with this. If everyone is fully remote, managers are forced to develop systems to keep track of productivity in this setting. Having some employees on site and others fully remote is a total mess.

Fair point. They were not in the top 25% pre-covid. But then again, by definition not everyone is top 25%.

WFH may not suit the corporate culture of WS :slight_smile:

That’s laughable that the office will increase diversity. If that was true, then companies would already be super diverse after decades of being in offices.

“What’s more, the music streaming service says its location flexibility has helped the company meet DEI objectives, with roughly half of new hires coming from a location outside of Spotify’s main hubs in New York City and Los Angeles.”

1 Like

If Jamie Dimon has now been forced to play the diversity card, it means that no one is taking his WFH opinions seriously. Chase, must have some RE investments that needs to be protected.

4 Likes

I’m sure they are a major lender for commercial RE. Those loans aren’t all bought by the federal government the way mortgages are.

3 Likes

Good insights :slight_smile:

They’ve found that remote work has ebbed significantly since the height of pandemic shutdowns in 2020, when almost two-thirds of work was done remotely. But it has since stabilized at an extraordinarily high level: Around a third of work was done remotely in the United States in 2021 and 2022
In particular, the remote-work wave has roiled the so-called knowledge industries such as finance and information, a category that includes everything from journalists to search-engine developers. There, 3 of every 5 workdays are now done from home

https://archive.ph/8fXnb

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/08/19/remote-work-hybrid-employment-revolution/

1 Like
2 Likes

Those who have bought houses far away from HQ will now have to rebel against going back to office. For , guess those putting up petition stay in Easy Bay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha, these entitled tech worker are free to quit Apple and keep working from home. The amount of money they are paid for doing mostly trivial work (true for 90+% of tech people), they can be asked to do anything and if they do not comply there will soon be a long queue of people to take the job.

1 Like