The cost of buying a home is rising three times faster than the cost to rent

If he is not getting roommates he is one spoiled brat to get a 2 bedroom as a student.

1 Like

Definitely. I like short term . Easier to raise rent. Besides average is 1-2 years max. The $30k is for rent. He has another $22k in another account. Richer than any local renters. Tuition is cheap at Lake Tahoe community college.

Really? I would think you would want someone to stay a few years, not just 1. The turnover would drive me nuts…

Tahoe is full of transients. Besides it is the newcomers with outside money that can afford the higher rents. They don’t know rents are up 50% in five years. Previous tenant moved out 9/1. Anyone in Tahoe with $52k in the bank is considered rich.

What? I wouldn’t rent anything to a Communist from China. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

A communist with $52k is a capitalist :sunglasses:

They all are once they move from their Communist heaven with the help of the politburo. Remember, over there, in that horrible regime :smile::smile:, they don’t do anything if the comrades don’t apporve it. Be them Russians, Venezuelans, Cubans, none the less the hated Muslims, per se. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am currently renting to sons and daughters of relatively well to do folks from China. Great kids and appreciative parents. They gave me some cognac that first holiday which was totally unexpected…

1 Like

In your brand new San Bruno house?

I want some cognac too… Although I would prefer if they bought my building…

One of the Chinatown flats. San Bruno home is home to a Palo Alto school teacher no less and high tech husband. House is lucky… they just told me baby is on the way.

I thought you didn’t like renting to short timers like students

When did I say that? When I mean short timers, yes, not say a student who is a senior about to graduate in a year. I actually prefer students since more often than not they do end up graduating and leaving the area. Yes, the one issue is income source for sure. Parents co-signing hasn’t burned me yet. Most of the time, I have rented to graduate students who have grants or receive income. Shoot, I just signed up a pretty smart young man for my inlaw studio who is a PHD scholar at UCSF. Doing some interesting research.

So you get a student to eat the rent in the summer? I would think short term tenants in rental controlled apartments would be a good thing…It is in Tahoe…One year is plenty for me…After 4 years my long term tenants are paying 10% below market…

Like I said, students meaning more graduate level where there is no summer vacay per se. The kids from China are doing art schools and/or have money source that they probably can do nothing all summer. Who likes dealing with turnover right? The expense, the time. I feel like if I can get a steady stay of at least a few years in, I can’t complain.