The cost of buying a home is rising three times faster than the cost to rent

2/2 apartments in SJ are $3375/mo.

https://www.villatorinoapts.com/Floor-Plans.aspx

That’s an older complex too.

These seem to start at $3700 and increase from there.

https://www.liveatcenterra.com/floorplans.aspx

Well generally you charge less than the apartment complexes to boost retention. Heck the complex near my area charges $4.6-5K/month for a 3/2…

My wife and I talk about this. We would be homeless by now. Our last rental place is in the $3K+. No way we could have afforded that if we were renting.

You the honest landlord, don’t kill the hen of the golden eggs by being greedy. Some day you will need them tenants back. :wink:

The bad news bears in the Redfin forum are actually the cause of homelessness :sunglasses:

Now the tide has turned.

Fast-rising home prices and higher mortgage rates have shifted the calculation to rent. The monthly costs of buying and owning a home that you occupy are up 14 percent over the past year, more than three times the annual increase in rent rates nationally, according to Realtor.com. Rents are up just 4 percent. The number of local housing markets where it is cheaper to rent than buy is growing by the day.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/its-better-to-rent-than-to-buy-in-todays-housing-market/ar-BBMUsPs?ocid=spartanntp

Not enough rentals…I get hundreds of calls…Lots of renters, unfortunately many don’t qualify

1 Like

Has always been for many years, fast-rising appreciation make it worthwhile to buy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just signed a renter today. A college student from China with $30k in the bank. None of my local tenants have more than $5k in the bank. The student was required to go here for one year before transferring onto Davis. He has an F1 visa, and can afford a two bedroom by himself.

2 Likes

I believe this is the key for the high end. Tenants need a decent chunk of cash for the security deposit/first/last month, and also great credentials to rent a $2-4M home in the Peninsula, for example… The pool of qualified, high-end renters is small. This is leading to some bargains in high end rentals.

This student is renting a $1200 per month 2/1. He will shocked how much higher Davis is.

Ask his parents to buy a house for him there.

They could probably buy my building. I will work on it.
Davis 2/1 about $1800

Crazy. Rich. Asian.

Being able to pay $1200 rent is crazy rich? :smile:

Noooo, but $30K in the bank and coming from China no less is decent, no???

Dude, 30k isn’t much. Not even enough to pay one semester’s tuition.

But coming from China… you know that is just a slush fund to “live on” while you are in the States.

China has a ton of really rich people because it has so freaking many people. People who would put 300k into their kids’ bank account instead of a measly 30k.

My point is (probably) the money is there, just that the parents are being prudent by only giving him enough to not harm himself (buy a Ferrari, for ex) for this one measly year. I have young tenants from China and we know they are just here for fun and games. One’s folks own a hotel and restaurant. Another is a daughter of a diplomat and someone else has a doctor for a dad.

Hey @Elt1, why did you rent to this guy if he is only going to stay a year? Slim pickings?