The Death Of Retail

Some big box retailers match Amazon prices. Go there and show them the Amazon page, pick up your items immediately.

Another one bites the dustā€¦

Silly me. I thought American Apparel already folded years ago? How come they are still around?!!

Our fav store with the bullseyeā€¦

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/target-issues-profit-warning-on-weak-holiday-sales-2017-01-18-74854459

How about some good news??? Why is the market so positive despite these possible dark clouds? You can say what you want, but thousands of people out of jobs will impact our economy in a very bad wayā€¦

I guess the market is just salivating over the promise of tax cuts and gutting of regulations. But so far they are just promises with zero details. We are in the ā€œbuy the rumorā€ stage. God help us when we get onto the ā€œsell the newsā€ cycleā€¦

1 Like

This group will be ready.

People, leave your comfort zone. USPS has been delivering Amazon for quite some time.
Amazon and other retailers, use the scheme of ā€œfree shippingā€, which is embedded in the price no matter what.
I used to sell on Ebay, say an $8 item, they would buy 3 of them, I had to deduct some $ from my shipping charges to make them happy. I would end up paying $10 in shipping for the items. $14 profit. Now, my items are free shipping, they just donā€™t know they used to pay for it.

Saw this chart just now. Why does America have so much retail space? That doesnā€™t sound right. Time to short retail REIT?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a reason Americans save a much lower percent of their income than other countries. Combine that with our growth of costumer debt and you get that chart.

The whole ā€œservicesā€ based economy is just a fancy word for debt based economy. Thereā€™s a reason our debt levels have sky rocketed as weā€™ve transitioned to a services based economy. China is experiencing the same thing. Itā€™s all smoke and mirror BS. It only works if the credit limit keeps increasing.

2 Likes

Another long time retailerā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for coming, and keep playing!

1 Like

Man, at this rate you may have to change your name @buyinghouseā€¦

1 Like

Because itā€™s our cultureā€“we like to buy stuff! We like sprawling, supersized stores, and we have the land to build them. And it fits in our the suburban lifestyle. You donā€™t see a large store in Paris because:

1. Thereā€™s no space
  2. Itā€™d feel weird to have a large store because there arenā€™t any
  3. Itā€™s not in their culture.

Could you imagine Walmart or Costco opening in Paris? Itā€™d probably get shut down by protestors.

We will seeā€¦ Costco is opening a store 15 miles south of Paris.
http://www.audiology-worldnews.com/market2/1928-the-us-giant-costco-to-market-hearing-aids-in-france-in-2017

I have shopped in huge stores in the South of Franceā€¦If the prices are cheap people will shop thereā€¦afterall Ikea is very popular in Europe

1 Like

Ok. Fair enoughā€¦

Though are IKEAs in Europe like the ones hereā€“a big maze of twisty passages all lined with crappy stuff? Or are they smaller and easier to escape from? :slight_smile:

Ikea sucks, period. .But it is cheap. ā€¦must be the samŠµ in Europeā€¦I still like their horsemeat balls thoughā€¦lol
Size varies but seems similar
http://franchisor.ikea.com/bringing-the-ikea-concept-worldwide/

1 Like

I am cheap and I love ikea. :slight_smile:

IKEA started off as a mail order operation with successful logisticsā€¦ .the name came from the founderā€™s initials and his address. The maze-like stores acted like an interactive showcase which drew in customers. Kind of like Disney World nowā€¦

The maze makes me physically illā€¦My Russian wife likes the placeā€¦reminds me of shopping in Russiaā€¦Order from one window, pay at another, pick up somewhere elseā€¦I want to pick up an item pay and goā€¦waiting in line sucksā€¦

1 Like