The top Bay Area private high schools ranked by SAT scores

Are you talking about newly opened San Mateo campus?
My question was about the one in Hillsborough.

Karen’s investigations resulted in the establishment of Nueva in 1967. It opened in an old house and portable buildings in Menlo Park, with only kindergarten, first, and second grades. In 1971, Nueva moved to its present Lower and Middle School site, the former William W. Crocker Skyfarm mansion, on thirty-three acres in Hillsborough.
The new high school campus at Bay Meadows in San Mateo opened in August 2014, and is now home to students grades 9 – 12.

Reading yelp reviews, it sounds like it’s going that direction… Very sad if so. Sounds like it used to be a good place for gifted kids. Perhaps no longer…

What are the good private high schools in peninsula? Here’s a list based on what I read from this thread:

First tier:
Harker (very hard to get in)
Crystal Springs (very hard to get in)
Nueva (hard to get in)
Menlo school (is it easy to get in?)
Sacred Heart ( is this school easier to get in?)

Second tier:

What are the high schools in second tier? Are Notre Dame and Junipero Serra good enough?

I would consider Nueva and Harker top tier, but Harker is high pressure and not on the Penisula–it’s in San Jose’

Crystal Springs/Menlo/Sacred Heart/Woodside Priory next

Bellarmine is the best Catholic boys school. One principal I met considered it better than Sacred Heart because the sports are stronger. it’s also easier to get to than Harker.

Don’t know the rankings of the Catholic girls schools.

There are a bunch of schools in Palo Alto that are probably on par with the Crystal Springs group. (Castilleja?)

There’s also Woodland School in Portola Valley. Don’t know much about it except I think they do math by stage not age.

1 Like

Great. Now colleges will admit tons of kids who can’t hack it. Then they’ll lower the graduation standards in the name if fairness, so the unqualified kids can graduate.

1 Like

I know two brothers live in CU went to Harker from 1st grade on. One decided to be a cop older brother was laid off from Scott Trade after his brokerage was sold. He was victim from another brokerage after just a few months on the job.
Without having a sponsor pulling often it is the luck that predetermines success. Both will do just fine Harker or not.

1 Like

Now we do have some data for Nueva. From 2017-2019, out of 227 students, 28 got into Stanford. That’s more than 12% of the graduating class and the avg avg SAT score of class 2020 is more than 1500. I would say that’s very impressive and on par with other top elite high schools in the nation if not better. (I doubt any other school send more students to Stanford in terms of percentages).

3 Likes

Interesting. Would’ve expected higher on the SATs for Nueva.

Proof School apparently has an average of 1535.

1 Like

How come Proof school doesn’t teach more physics?

They teach

• Physics Mechanics Algebra-based (not sure why),
  • Physics Mechanics Calculus Based,
  • Physics E&M Calculus Based and
  • Occasionally an E&M Lab that goes beyond that.

Not all classes are taught every year, though. They did the two Calc-based physics last year I think (definitely E&M at least), and this year is just Algebra-based Physics…

1 Like

Proof has a much smaller student body - 120 students from 6-12 (eg less than 20 per grade) while Nueva has about 100 or so students per grade. I don’t think Nueva call itself an academic or college prep school. AFAIK, some students are very talented in art/music (it doesn’t mean their academic is not good. It just mean that the school is not solely focused in academic). I think their latest sat avg is about 1511 which may not be as high as Proof or Basis but their college acceptance does seem to be more impressive than those two schools.

2 Likes