Thinking about selling my primary -> rental home

hi guys,
thinking about selling my rental , we live there until 2015 december and we want to take advantage of the 500k cap gain. never sold before, so got some question
what’s the commission nowdays? is there any other fees? and what other stuff i need to be aware when selling?
I’m going to meet with my broker later tonight, just checking any good agent recommendation in daly city area?
what you guys think about selling with redfin?
thanks

Change title to selling primary home.

You can ask Deleon realty, they can do a lot of staging work for you

it’s my rental though, i live there from 10-15, then move to my now primary from 15-now.

Then you need to sell it quickly before December. Once passing the deadline, you’ll lose the 500k tax free gain.

You are selling a primary home in terms of tax treatment. Physically it’s tenant occupied. It would be better to sell it vacant, but you don’t have time to let the tenant vacate

1 Like

ah… got it. thanks. yeah, need about a week or two to fix it up. downstairs carpet replacement/fix a lot of small stuff, repaint a few walls.
I’m trying to get it out early sept.

Since it is a straight sale (the agent is not for example finding you a replacement home like for me) I would negotiate hard on the commission. In my case, I paid 5% so that ought to be tops for you if not way lower. Redfin might be the way to go since it is cheaper but you still get max exposure since it seems all buyers are now linked in (oops, not intended) and get notices of when new listings come online.

Staging might be well worth it to really pop your home and give it that extra bump in price.

I might check with your accountant to make sure that you are in the clear for the 500K cap gain.

Good luck! If you want me and my fellow “crazy, rich asians” to show up at your open house to drum up activity, PM me with the address and dates.

1 Like

Thanks, sure will pm you the address when ready
but first need to find an agent first.
so for redfin they say Concierge Service for 2%, so is there any other fee? it say buyer commission not included
i want to do a calcuation estimate on all scenarios
beside the agent fee, what else fee i need to be aware of?

I’m not sure about Redfin. You don’t save much by going with subpar agent. Why not go with a top agent and negotiate on 5%, 4.5% or 4% commission? Redfin agent is on salary, I don’t trust them on getting the best price for you.

1 Like

I might ask Melanie to give you a quote on her services… I have gone to many of her open houses in San Bruno, SSF and the city. She lives in the Richmond District I believe.

https://www.zillow.com/profile/MelanieLeung/

How about that weird hair dude greenabker guy?

Well, he is cheap but I don’t know that you will personally see him at your listing. He may recruit some green horn.

Does he sell your house at low price to his own buyer?

Why don’t you list your house on Zillow for a good price to see how much interest you can get?

My friend used him to sell a Millbrae home a few years back. He liked him but I know the other agents do not like him for his lowballing. He has the name and presumably experience, but again, I can’t guarantee that Mr. Hair will be at your open house instead of some frankly more expensive listing in Hillsborough or something down in SV. Every time I have gone to one of his listings around here, he wasn’t there. At least Jason Chan is at most of his listings. I appreciate that.

the machine boy? how is he?

Where is your home? Will you buy another?

Is your place in the city? If Sunset, yes, absolutely, but I assumed it was south in DC or San Bruno. I think it makes sense to list with someone who knows the area very well and sells your particular area.

it’s in daly city.
buy another maybe, i’m also looking for opportunity in hk as well.starting to see some decline over there. I’m thinking if it drop enough, i’ll buy a future primary there. the current one we have is good for rental(mong kok) but not good for living.

You plan to go back? Darn.

the one i’m selling is westlake more south of DC, keeping the one in DC #1 district.

not now, but eventually. it’s good to plan ahead.