This Is Why I Am So In Love With Penang, Malaysia!

Take note. House prices hardly appreciate. Ok for retirement. Not good for investment.

Singapore is better for this. Said this here for those who want to live near snow, seaside or rural permanently… actually no need to if stay in Singapore or Malaysia (only in KL). Easily get to those places in under an hour to few hours.

This is what a typical Hong Kong condo looks like. No shiny floor tiles.

Ok, sorry, but the visa requirements did go up now technically. The hope is that the new Prime Minister will see to it that the requirements are ratcheted back down to something reasonable.

Where is the Communist flag, old fearless leader??? (Ooops…)

Close enough…

I have come to the realization that Singapore is simply too expensive to live there. Visit? For sure.
One will get a much better deal over the border…

No shiny beige tile.

Looks like MM2H (My Malaysia 2nd Home) visa is available for retirement and requirement are not that high?

Well, the Fing government got greedy and raised the requirements. Now, as a retiree you have to have at least $10K US income per month and you have to deposit $1M Ringgit or $250k US into a fixed account there. Also, must show 1.5M in liquid funds. And other requirements.

Heck, you may be the one who qualifies. Sure, I qualify now especially with my wife working but as a retiree???

Lucky I was smart enough to apply early…
:

What if you just spend a few months a year there? Can you still own property?
Oh and if you retire there does that 250k earn enough interest to keep it even from a purchasing power perspective? And how about health insurance? Affordable? Any health checks required prior to getting it?

My kids can’t even handle the dry heat in San Jose. They bitched everyday when we visited NYC in the summer. No, they can’t last a day outdoor in Malaysia or Singapore.

I spent 20 years of my youth in that crazy hot humid climate in Hong Kong. I have my life’s fill of hot humid shitty weather. No thanks Amigo. I am all set here in the Bay. In fact I’d rather deal with negative 40 degree windchill in Minnesota than hot and humid.

Then go to Singapore or Malaysia for a humid and hot weather :slight_smile:

Bali was crazy hot and humid but I acclimated after a few days.

1 Like

Yes, you can always just do the tourist visa which is 90 days maximum. Keep in mind though that customs may not like you coming in and out all the time. Foreigners can buy property there even wo the visa, but there are requirements about min pricing for foreigners. Depends on type and where the property is. I would say 1M Ringgit is a good general estimate minimum needed. No, the interest earned probably is not enough to offset costs. Private plan health insurance there is not too expensive.

I will remain hopeful that the government will revise the rules back to some reasonable levels so that more people can take advantage of staying and living in Malaysia…

I can’t say I blame them for only wanting rich people to move there.

Absolutely, but the problem is this though: rich people do not like rules!!! No rich person is going to adhere to the ridiculous 90 days mandatory annual stay requirement. (Another new rule change) They are rich, they can go to way better places than Malaysia freely, and they will.

There is hope that the program will be ratcheted down since there is a new govt in place and if not this year the new Sultan to be next year (its a freaking rotation system) is the Sultan of Johor Bahru in the south, across from Singapore. His money has been impacted by the failure of Forest City, a massive money pit project that has been affected too by the stricter rules that is preventing a lot of Chinese from coming over. Since he will be King next year, presumably he will change things since he has complained about the new rules.

Here is a recent video from a Youtuber who loves Malaysia so much he moved from Japan to Malaysia several times over the years. This video speaks to the high quality medical care (private plan) that I was talking about that is available to you there.

I Got a Health Checkup in Malaysia | This is the Quality of Malaysian Hospital… - YouTube

See Manch, I am rarely wrong…

Follow the money, the rich know where to go…

Penang becomes hotspot for Hong Kong and Chinese celebrities | The Star