This is Why We Have Been Loving Fremont So Long

Thanks for your insight @Boolean
Hope more companies spread their wealth (of jobs) around the Bay, including Fremont.

Selfishly rooting for my SFH in Irvington area to do well.

:slight_smile:

IF FB moves in enough people in Fremont/Ardenwood in 5 years, there should be positive effects on

1. Housing
  2. Pulling in new tech businesses

Well I guess we’ll have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Their plan is in 2 yr FB Fremont campus is as big as MPK Classic (the original campus is). Also FB campus is not for IT / operation staff, they are moving product development teams. So it is quite attractive to people who lives not just in Fremont, but to people who lives in Dublin and etc. Ardenwood and Newark area are all buzzing with Facebook badges, in restaurants and grocery stores.

3 Likes

Which teams are located in Fremont? Are they engineering or some other functions?

I don’t have the up-to-date data. It started with enterprise engineering team (internal tool engineering team). Then infrastructure engineering team like video & network. But intend is for Engineering teams.
Since the bigger the campus they can plan, it is easier to keep the related engineering teams together.

3 Likes

Any plans for ferry service between MP and Fremont? Could be faster than the bridge and add some color and romance to people’s commute.

I don’t think there is enough depth in the bay between that two offices, I am not sure. How does Facebook train sound to you? Might take 5 yrs or so with our government speed.

Right now, there are shuttles (10-12 seaters) between two campuses every 5 mins and it just take 10-12 mins. If you need, you can request on-demand ride.

2 Likes

I was thinking the commute would be longer. But nothing beats a 10 minute shuttle ride. Fremont is closer to MP than I thought!

BULLISH for Fremont!

1 Like

Great, from my rental property in Union City to this new FB is about 20mins to drive.
I bet this will spike up the rent demand in tri- city in near future

Tri City is the solution to SV’s short of housing and high RE prices. People can commute in from Stockton and Tracy where land is plentiful and housing affordable. I really hope more companies would HQ in that area.

1 Like

Liked the question. Where can Fremon grow other than growing upwards? I cannot express how much I hate anything taller than two stories.

Investment in heavy rail trains unlikely in the short term (10 years). We have been hearing these things for the last so many years. Anyway, both ACE trains and Caltrain run at loss and cannot run without taxpayer support.

1 Like

Was trying to google for the MPK Classic. What was/is it? How big was it?

Similar things will happen near the future Google campus in San Jose.

Turn NewPark mall into residential.
Maybe leave the 24, theater, and Starbucks but rest can be turned into housing units.

This is MPK Classic - original campus before they have long builds along 84. I believe it is around 1 millon sq ft office space

2 Likes

My guess is, it should. Again we will have to wait and see, i.e. the proof will be in the pudding.

My next door neighbor works in FB Fremont and I’m @ 8 mins drive from this FB Fremont campus.

2 Likes

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/23/where-in-fremont-will-tesla-battery-day-be-held-we-have-some-clues-maybe/

In March of this year, Tesla submitted a plan to reconstruct the property at 47700 Kato Road. It says, “For baseline conditions, the existing site accommodates 300 employees with Research & Development Manufacturing job functions. The Project proposes to redevelop the existing site by adding floors to the 47700 Kato Road building. The redeveloped site will accommodate the following employees and job functions: 45 research and development employees and up to 425 manufacturing employees, spread over several shifts Monday through Friday.”

1 Like

Didn’t @hanera say Tesla will pull out of California?

:thinking: