This is Why We Have Been Loving Fremont So Long

Times have changed for sure. Now goal is to reduce commute and no hobos in the neighborhood. People are voting with their purses by selecting where those places are.

Nowadays I make wine. It is very good. My new passion. Too old and fat to surf. Miss Santa Cruz and Steamers Lane. Still skiing though. 21 days . 200,000 vertical. About 400 miles.

I had a colleague who has his primary house in Santa Cruz and one can see the sea from the house. Had checked the house price, hasnā€™t appreciated much compared to the rest of commutable SV.

Iā€™m curious: if you had to live in the Bay Area now, where would you buy?

We have already beaten this horse to death. I think most tech companies will offer 1-2 WFH days, and staff are still expected to come in at least 2-3 days a week. 100% WFH is too extreme for most companies with 1000+ of employees.

1 Like

Exactly and so to answer your original question Fremont is not getting a WFH bump.

My theory is that if people only have to commute 3 days a week instead of 5, they can tolerate longer commute. Driving from Fremont to Mountain View may be intolerable 5 times a week, but maybe not too bad if you only have to do it 3 times.

Thatā€™s my theory anyway. Could be wrong.

East Bay. Closer to Tahoe and much cheaper.
Discovery Bay waterfront. Still can get a nice Mediterranean villa for $1.5m.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1940-Windward-Point-Discovery-Bay-CA-94505/18278178_zpid/

If money was no object, I would buy in Tiburon waterfront $6-10m?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2200-Mar-East-St-Belvedere-Tiburon-CA-94920/80733375_zpid/

I have been in this house. Our friend Ludmila lived here. Her dad is a Ukrainian oligarch. Called it Shangri la. Lives in Beverly Hills now

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/185-Gilmartin-Dr-Tiburon-CA-94920/19261594_zpid/

also, after COVID goes away, promotions will accrue to those who are close enough to be in person.

that being said, my husband who is in tech just started a job with a hot healthcare startup (pre unicorn) that is remote first, and mostly decentralized across the US. Maybe this is the future, but maybe not. He is still hesitant to leave Bay Area due to career reasons, though I honestly donā€™t love it here (ok, actally hate it here).

Lots of people drive/take/took_the_bus across Dumbarton before Covid

I personally know at least 2 people who are working from Central Fremont in Palo Alto and in North SJ area for the past 2 decades plus.

One of them is interesting. He is in the Silicon Valley Engineering Hall of fame, owns a couple of Toyotas. @2 decades back I came to know he got a yearly bonus of $250K then. Now I think heā€™s rolling in dough, but you wonā€™t know by looking at him. Last I talked to him, he still took the Dumbarton Express to Palo Alto.

Anyways, those are just anecdotal. Point is I think lots of people work in N SJ, across Dumbarton Bridge in Palo Alto, MV or North of Palo Alto who live in Fremont and that was pre-covid.

Hence, my belief is WFH hasnā€™t specifically resulted in Fremont bump(if any).

:scream:

MSJ :slight_smile:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fremont/44009-Owl-Dr-94539/home/1089657

1 Like

Haha. 2.8M! I still donā€™t understand on why people needs 4000+ sqft houses. Personally sweet spot is 2000 - 2500 sqft with 4/3 + Den setup :slight_smile:

3 Likes

its a terrible place to raise kids. :wink: unless you have $$$ or came before 2014. (we came 2015). :slight_smile: Schools are terrible, and I say this as someone who has kids in a good school district.

Probably would have gone higher if itā€™s backyard wasnā€™t directly ON mission blvd :slight_smile:

Need attached bathroom for each bedroom + half bath for guest.
Need an entertainment (aka media) room - watch movies.
Need a game room - play billiard or table tennis.
Need a large living room to look grand with sliding door to the backyard, backyard with a patio for bbq setup.

2500 sqft single story is insufficient.

SF or SJ or PA?

Sure, but in RealEstate there is always a trade off. I would rather take 2500 sqft house and trade extra sqft to cheaper price, better location/commute, better backyard. Also you are in California, so might as well as enjoy more outdoor instead of air-conditioned room in 4K mansion :slight_smile:

@Elt1, see how times have changed since 1975? :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yep but if you bought in 1975 in the BA you would be a multi millionaire today. Not if you bought in these second tier cities

Seriously, could you explain what you said? Didnā€™t understand it. Oakland and Berkeley doesnā€™t seem to be in that list.

Iā€™m sure you know this, Financial growth is always measured in % not in $s.