Today Market

How did you forget to add the two most serious threat that will destroy the world:

1. Global Warming
  2. Climate Change

I was thinking about this after seeing a Starbucks sign about partnering with customers to reduce climate impact. You have to ask to get a straw. All the climate stuff companies support lowers their operating costs. I can’t think of a single one that increases operating costs. It seems more like a way to get customers to expect less in the name of saving the environment. That or companies want a pat on the back for initiatives that lower cost. It really is genius.

I was being sarcastic. If you look at the whole video they don’t even appear to have food shortages and there’s no evidence of widespread panic presented.

1 Like

“The spread of the Wuhan virus isn’t accelerating, but markets becoming more concerned about future earnings and economic growth as companies implement work stoppages to reduce the chance of the disease spreading,” said Tom Essaye, founder of The Sevens Report.

Today is the day when you wish you own lots of TSLAs and NOWs.

I don’t think the market has fully grasped the seriousness of the outbreak yet. It’s more viral than SARS but less lethal. From a personal safety perspective that makes it less of a threat. But from a economic and financial perspective that makes it more so.

When AIDS first came out in the 80s it was an almost certain death. For arguments sake let’s say it’s 100% lethal. But it’s also difficult to spread. You have to be a druggie or have unprotected sex. You can’t just catch AIDS when someone sneezes. Market didn’t care one bit.

With the Wuhan virus people panicked. You may say people overreacted but the fact still remains that people are panicking. China has put its economy into deep freeze. The entire country shuts down.

In six months it will be old history and people will have moved on. But in the short term there will be a lot of turbulence.

From the nytimes article today

2 Likes

That’s exactly my point. It’s much more viral than SARS. Dismissing it saying it’s less lethal misses the point entirely.

Buy and hold and buy more

1 Like

Now? Buy and wait? Or wait to buy more?
Current margin about 8%. So plenty of margin to deploy.

Even you know today was just a blip.

Maybe things get interesting if it goes down like this for a month or 2

Cupertino? :scream:

Crap. Now I’ll need to get masks.

Does the guy work for Apple? I think Apple bought most of the China bound plane tickets from San Jose international? None of my Chinese friends and relatives fly from San Jose when they go to China. They all fly SFO.

Let the tanking begin :dancing_women:

I thought the corona virus was we hat you told the boss you had when you drank too much Mexican beer the night before.

Well at least since there’s no ticks up here in Strawberry (there should be, but there aren’t) I won’t be taking my coronvirus with any lyme disease.
Not that I’m concerned about it making it here. Cable hasn’t even made it here.

wait to buy more! When everyone hates stocks, buy…then. This is opposite of Santa run, correct to the level where last Oct-Nov 2019 left, just shy of 8% from peak.

We just made it into Fear territory. A month ago it was Extreme Greed.

1 Like

Lancet is one of the top medical journals in the world. A paper from Hong Kong University researchers estimated just Wuhan alone the number of cases should be about 76k last week. The latest official number is 12k for the entire country.

So even China’s scary official number may very well be undercounting by 5x or more.

1 Like