Today Market

Plenty ! You need to realistically understand the situation and take action. Savers, esp cash savers are the king during recession period !

They can buy anything at deep discount, be it real estate or stocks or any other items…

1 Like

My question was can there be consensus to protect the integrity of the CASH. It is not a trivial work, because it will require unwinding 100 or so years of consensus on Keynesian deficits and central banking (fractional banking, money supply, and interest rates). If cash is protected and economic cycles are allowed to run their course, purchasing power of cash will grow over time. You need not be in stock market for that.

Again, you are talking an ideology that does not exists anywhere in the world ! It is impossible to go back in time a single day…You are expecting 100 years unwinding…

Either you have extreme fear about stock market or extreme hate to it. IMO, if you do not mistake me, change must come from you, but not from outside.

Stock market is easy to understand, but fear is hard to get rid off, try it small amounts (but not at volatility periods like this), master it.

The simple fact is either you buy or sell or short, make sure you aim to win always. This means you can deep dive N numbers of hours on a security, but your must win at the end. Practice, practice and practice. If you establish 80% winning chances, you will grow.

1 Like

Historically most recoveries have been V-shaped. The last one was an exception.

You are making some good points. My position is that CASH should be protected like a holy cow and This is how that money has been treated until 100 years ago is more like an ideological statement. And there is not much most of us here can do about do about it, at least in short run. What you said is a practical advise on what to do with what is available at hand. That is a good one. thanks,

The last one was not just a recission, It was a failure of the financial market as well.

Cash is fine unless everything collapses. Then it collapses as well. Always.

If cash collapses because people lose trust, something else will take its place. Worst case it will revert to the barter system. The key property of money is its ability to hold value and wide acceptability.

Later: Sooner or later, FED has to decide what does it want to become. Killer of the CASH or protector of the CASH.

If you can’t change the world, change yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When market corrects, it is normally oversold with over negative hype. Initial jump may be Kangaroo jump, but later recovery takes longer time.

It all depends on how much and how long the impact to economy is !

1 Like

I was like this for a long time between 1995 and 2006 - keeping cash,with fixed income 4% bank rate, no stock market no real estate. Had lot of fear about stock market, lot against real estate.

During 2006, few of my friends instilled the confidence to buy a home and take a big loan, showed me how it works, that changed me suddenly to buy my first primary, then during 2008-2011 took more real estate investments!

Only this blog, or old redfin forum, introduced me stock market, few years before, reddit (IIRC, ptiemann told) further enlightened me, books further made me understand the concepts…

I was able to make good progress (10%+) during bullish run, but far better progress (first time 100%+ very rare one) in bearish time now.

It is all how we focus and where we focus…now, even if I lose some amount in one trade, I have confidence to get it back, it is about of success rate.

But, I would suggest stay away from volatile market now, educate/improve using books and come back when stock market is dead soon.

2 Likes

Market will likely be halted tomorrow as it can fall easily 7% below !

For many of members, even though I bought some stocks, I have protected them with equal short term spy puts like the way Ray Dalio did. This means, even if the securities are down, puts will compensate the loss.

2 Likes

If US cash is done. Pretty much the whole world is done. Some of us probably won’t survived this

1 Like

Cash was done for my Hungarian father after WW II. It has been over for cash many times since. If you lived in Mexico in the mid 90’s and owned Mexican stocks you took a hit but were eventually made whole if you were patient. If you were in cash you lost about 80%. Permanently. There is some wisdom to having 5-10% in precious metals (physical). It’s not an investment; it’s insurance. That grubstake that helps you start over if necessary. My father’s grubstake was gemstones - sewn into the hem of his pants before he escaped from behind the Iron Curtain.

4 Likes

When all hell breaks loose invest in ammo and sealed airline liquor bottles. Can be used as currency

Just took a shit with soft charmin TP. did i miss something? did market halt after a minute?

Yes, trade was halted and resumed now.

This is not an investment advice, but mere statement.

If I guess, looks like market is bottomed with FED help, at least temporarily. Today down at 10% and recovery to current level is a major change which has not happened so far.

It seems recovery is in place with FED help drastically.

Again, it is pure guess on how the market behaved now. Better to watch as VIX is at high level 73.43 - way high.

2 Likes

Not wait for another 2-3 months?

You can’t wait?

Now then you said, I have bought spy puts following you😭 sell them?

1 Like

Buy more :slight_smile:

1 Like