Today's Market May 2023

SHOP’s market cap is 73B. Pretty much the same as AirBnB, Uber and PayPal. Did not know that.

It just announced it’s exiting the fulfillment space by selling its logistics assets to Flexport. It can’t compete with Amazon’s logistics.

Nvidia’s market cap is almost 700B. 10x SHOP. Not in the same league IMO.

1 Like

Not comparing this. Talking about speed of appreciation :slight_smile:

Logistics need huge scale to benefit from economy of scale. May be later.

Flexport is run by ex-Amazon COO. It has a ton of ex-Amazon people. They could become a true threat to Amazon, but Amazon’s scale is insane.

1 Like

People are still bearish. Why?

Hedge fund clients haven’t been this bearish on stocks in at least a decade.

Here My 2 cents!

This YOY income reduction predicted ahead as a results of FFR and market expectations were set.

Even though many companies beating the expected results, many companies YOY income declined ( like TSLA).

There is no incentive for market to pay any premium price to buy a company unless company declares some surprises such as

1. Exceed results way off or income growth YOY
  2. Companies corrected heavily 70%-90%
  3. Surprise buybacks announced

Other than this, still down trends are expected with economy and likely continuation lay offs.

2 Likes

The most hated bull market.

2 Likes

SOLD

1 Like

People are still bearish, even in a bull market.

:rocket:

1 Like

IMO, this is not bull market. First drop ended Oct 14,2022. Then retrace happened till recently. Now, the final leg of recession has started. This final leg is severe.

How to find? Just giving few symptoms to account.

1. In this leg, yield curve inversion goes away and it comes to normal.

2.Market will likely end up with circuit breaker

3.Then FED will reduce rates.

There comes to the stock bottom. Appx drop is double of the Oct-22 to Apr-23 retracement.

At that time, buy any good companies hold long, the CAGR will be exceptional

All guess work and inference, nothing guaranteed.

2 Likes

Don’t forget there are stocks remain in a bull trend in a bear market. For example, NVDA may remain in a bull trend while NET would crash to near zero. SNOW would make near low.

1 Like

Your prediction?

No. Just illustrating if recession + broad market bear market. Btw, NET is still in a bear trend. Best possibility is in stage 1.

I am just surprised there are so many bears in this bull market. Like Knox is bearish, and Druckenmiller is bearish, on and on. Most hedge fund managers are bearish. And yet the bull market continues apace.

If the most predicted recession didn’t happen, these funds would be forced to buy at last minute or risk looking stupid for 2023. That would be very spicy indeed.

1 Like

We’re well bellow the high set about 18 months ago, corporate profits are flat to lower, growth is anemic and P/E’s are still in nosebleed territory given those fundamentals. The only thing powering a potential surge would be interest rates declining as fast as they rose and if that happens it will likely be because of a recession.
Of course I suppose we could always just change the definition of “recession.” Again.
The biggest challenge is massive expansion of the welfare state crushing supply as nearly 3 million Americans now decide it’s not in their interest to work. And nothing is going to change that in the near future.

1 Like

If you’re explaining why there are so many bears, please remember stock market is forward looking. Stock market bottoms months ahead of fundamentals recovery. Given current stock market behavior, it is expecting start of fundamentals recovery is only months away.

Hmmm, what you ( and many bulls ) did not understand is peak of retrace happened and market sliding to final horrible run.

If my prediction is true, bulls looking stupid for 2023!

Remember my high level algorithm won’t fail.

I boldly declared my prediction openly here

3 Likes

They don’t have to work. Just trade AMC and Bitcoin. Welll at least that’s their justification.
I personally think we are headed to a permanent welfare state where the underclass doesn’t work. They just search for welfare benefits from the nanny state. Sell drugs or their bodies. Homelessness is now just another lifestyle.
Yankee ingenuity and work ethic is now considered racist. Hard work is discouraged and living for the moment is all that matters. Why save for the future when the government will just steal your money through inflation and increasing taxes. There is logic to the new lethargic generations.

3 Likes

“A recent study headed by University of Chicago economist Casey Mulligan, “Paying Americans Not to Work,” found that in 24 states, unemployment benefits and Obamacare subsidies for a family of four with no one working are equal to or above national median household income. In three of those states, a family of four with no one working can receive over $100,000 per year in cash and benefits. In 14 states, that number is at least $80,000, which is more than the average salary for a construction worker or an electrician. In other words, two years after the pandemic, we’re still paying people not to work at a time when businesses and our economy desperately need workers.”

2 Likes

Why work?

CNBC is publishing multiple articles a week on people like this. Everyone thinks they can be a digitize content creator or influencer. I really wish someone would do a study on how long these things last for someone.

1 Like