Trading wars impact

They can’t say so publicly or they’ll trigger snowflake employees. They support things that are good for business.

1 Like

I didn’t know this administration was a commie one?

Oh, they are!
And so its supporters, the “wallnuts:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Morgan Stanley earnings take a hit from GOP tax reform

Like all the other banks, Morgan Stanley’s results last year were affected by the passage of the Republicans’ tax law.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/morgan-stanley-earnings-take-a-hit-from-gop-tax-reform/ar-BBSmTkL?ocid=spartanntp

MAGA!
My
Attorney
Got
Arrested

I believe this would be called winning. I’m sure irrational haters will find something to complain about.

2 Likes

China is just offering to pay to steal for the next 6 years. There will be a compromise sometime in the future… not sure if that is now, it will all depend on how DT reacts.

Nothing is good enough for you?

I’m nobody.

My point was, the goals that DT set initially haven’t been met.

It seems industrial production in the US is increasing while it’s decreasing in China.

Oh, and now Germany doesn’t like Huawei either. I think the BS of calling them innocent victims can stop now.

1 Like

His public goals are always extremely stretched. He didn’t make his desired goals publicly known. So if he accepts the offer, we can safely assume at least met (or even exceed) his desired goals.

Recalled I read an article that this should be so as automation progress and AI takes hold. Hopefully some academic would present the picture for us, how much is due to progress in automation and AI, and how much is due to Trump’s success.

Germany is playing both sides. Sometimes help China (ban iPhone), sometimes help USA (ban Huawei). By any chance, Germany is coming out with a cell phone?

exactly… I said the same… quoting below.

1 Like

It’s measuring industrial production not jobs.

1 Like

Have returned most of acquired knowledge to school. Ain’t they related somehow?

Trade deficit is not a bad thing. Many get fooled by the word deficit. It’s stupid to focus on that, it’s double stupid to focus on bilateral deficit.

Trade and investment are mirror images of one another. US savings rate is too low, so it imports savings and investments. That automatically means running a trade deficit. Standard balance of payments economics.

So making the deficit with China zero just pushes the deficit to other countries like Vietnam.

By the way I actually like to see China run a trade deficit with the world. That’s a necessary step towards making RMB a reserve currency. You need to have enough of your currency out in the world. The only way to do that is import more and pay people with your money.

1 Like

You want Trump to start a second tariff war? Please wait for my stocks recover first!!!

Trump is busy retreating from the world. He’s too stupid to play geopolitics.

Many here don’t think USD being the global reserve currency has any benefits anyway.

The Triffin dilemma or Triffin paradox is the conflict of economic interests that arises between short-term domestic and long-term international objectives for countries whose currencies serve as global reserve currencies. This dilemma was identified in the 1960s by Belgian-American economist Robert Triffin,[1]who pointed out that the country whose currency, being the global reserve currency, foreign nations wish to hold, must be willing to supply the world with an extra supply of its currency to fulfill world demand for these foreign exchange reserves, thus leading to a trade deficit.

The use of a national currency, such as the U.S. dollar, as global reserve currency leads to tension between its national and global monetary policy. This is reflected in fundamental imbalances in the balance of payments, specifically the current account, as some goals require an outflow of dollars from the United States, while others require an overall inflow.

Specifically, the Triffin dilemma is usually cited to articulate the problems with the role of the U.S. dollar as the reserve currency under the Bretton Woods system. John Maynard Keyneshad anticipated this difficulty and had advocated the use of a global reserve currency called ‘Bancor’. Currently the IMF’s SDRs are the closest thing to the proposed Bancor but they have not been adopted widely enough to replace the dollar as the global reserve currency.

In the wake of the financial crisis of 2007–2008, the governor of the People’s Bank of Chinaexplicitly named the reserve currency status of the US dollar as a contributing factor to global savings and investment imbalances that led to the crisis. As such the Triffin Dilemma is related to the Global Savings Glut hypothesis because the dollar’s reserve currency role exacerbates the U.S. current account deficit due to heightened demand for dollars.

1 Like

Productivity is a key factor. Each year companies can produce more output with the same number of workers. Some areas even have less workers but more product. Auto factories used to be 5,000 workers per shift. Now it’s 500.

2 Likes