Trading wars impact

Not my words.

No, it bridges the gap and gives the stealing company a huge catch up. Then they both starting innovating from that common starting point. Without the stealing, the company would have to do a lot of work just to catch up.

What I’d like to know, as an AAPL stock holder, is how much IP the South Koreans have stolen from the iPhone. And whoever here using a smartphone other than the iPhone will need to forward their royalty to my bank account immediately :smile:

2 Likes

Germany is becoming second class…Even there cars are crap these days…They are trying to live on their legacy…Tesla is kicking their ass and with questionable reliability…Toyota makes far superior cars to BMW and Mercedes.

German cars are pretty bad now. Their price has come down but even a new car sometimes break down in the first 2 years. Unbelievable.

Japanese and Korean cars are more reliable. How is the Chinese cars? When Chinese cars become as good as Korean cars, Germany will be in trouble.

I have personally thought they were always over engineered over priced hype…And I had an 95 911…Germany has used the myths of WW2 to bambozale Americans…even the much maligned Sherman tank actually performed quite well against the panzers, which were always breaking down…too complicated and too hard to repair…American engineering based on KISS was far more effective…

1 Like

Did German cars ever have high reliability? They are supposed to be more luxurious and drive better. Japanese cars have been more reliable than German for decades.

2 Likes

They were more reliable in the 60s and 70s…Too much fancy shit on them theses days…The Germans are terrified of Tesla

1 Like

I have mentioned this here before. I was in European conference late last year and one of the security expert from a well known company showed in his presentation that 80% of all IP theft attempts worldwide are originating in China and have patterns that clearly show links to state sponsorship.

1 Like

We dont have to go any further than this forum on the topic of IP theft. Some Chinese origin posters here were pretty supportive of using any means to beat the competition. Chinese are unapologetic about what they are doing. Trump has called them out.

1 Like

Who cares about proofs when you can just make numbers up?

1 Like

Caucasians dominated nations and fake caucasians gang up against Huawei?

Huawei, they say, could be spying for the Chinese — and that presents a national security risk.

What they mean is they don’t want to let Huawei know they are spying :confounded:. Long ago I read about network cards manufactured in US were modified by … don’t ask me to provide links :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Tech Cold War is real. The “West” on one side, and the rest on the other. Not sure if Japan counts as in the West or not. But it has tens of thousands of Yankee troops on its soil it’s practically an American state.

I understand the mistrust on both sides. US banning Huawei is fine. Just don’t complain when China bans Cisco.

China won’t ban any US tech products for two reasons:
No competitive threats
No benefits in antagonizing a friendly US company

They might however allow small scale anti-American products such as Huawei instigated anti-Apple and commenting that comrades are spending too much on luxury goods.

There’s a whole list of banned internet companies. Financial institutions were banned until very recently. Then there’s the JV rules to do business in China which effectively bans companies unless they hand over IP to JV partners.

The Cisco compassion is humorous. It’d be a valid comparison if the CIA or NSA we’re funding Cisco.

1 Like

Chinese government is funding Huawei?

It literally said so in the article you posted…

“the company remains heavily funded by the Chinese government”

Which also means they aren’t competing on equal footing which is agaisnt trade rules.

That’s what Westerners assumed, that Huawei is funded by Chinese government. But what does that even mean?

Does it mean it doesn’t make any money by itself, like the CIA and the FBI, and solely depends on government for funding? Does it mean it benefits from research funding from the government, like so many tech companies in the US? Or does it mean it gets cheap loans guaranteed, explicitly or implicitly, by the government? But then US farmers also gets cheap loans guaranteed by the government. Are we to say then US farmers are funded by the government?

Will it matter? It’s your article that says it. Let’s say the Chinese government tells Huawei they want data from their networking equipment in another country. Do you think Huawei would tell them no or provide the data? Wold Huawei even have the option of saying no?