Trading wars impact

It’s very difficult for ICE engines to match up in terms of torque with electric motors of electric cars.

1 Like

If you blend both correctly in a hybrid, then you have perfect performance. You’re starting to see it in some hyper cars where they are hybrid for performance not fuel economy. Auto engineers knew that decades ago.

Surprisingly, American tech companies (not traditional American consumer-facing companies) are doing extremely well against traditional European consumer-facing companies. iPhone & Android (not Motorola) destroyed Nokia’s dominance. Now, Tesla could destroy BMW/Porsche/Bentley’s dominance.

Yes. Although Nokia is Finnish not German.

You want more German brands got destroyed? My favorite brand Braun would soon be destroyed by some smart thingy :slight_smile:

No, I don’t have anything against Germans. I’m only rooting for Tesla because I have a stake in it. I don’t think Tesla is strictly a German competitor either. I don’t know why people here are portraying it as such.

America wants dynamism and Europe wants stability. Out of dynamism comes world dominating companies, but there’s no job security and workers got laid off. In Europe you can argue they are living a better life.

The new generation of Americans aka millennnials may want more of Europe’s stability and less dynamism. China is becoming the new risk takers.

It is a status symbol. German cars keep a premium as a status symbol. Once they lose that they have nothing. Tesla being green and high performance is kicking butt. But only if they can produce.

Good tweet thread:

The problem with dynamism is the winners take most of the value leaving the rest to fight for crumbs. This widening inequality is not sustainable and would lead to revolution. Is time for more stability. But capping the winners is NOT the solution. The solution is the government, the government has to be involved, has to help the “losers” capture more of the value but of course not by stealing from the winners.

2 Likes

I now think Bernie would have won if he ran instead of Hillary. People here often brush inequality off but it’s real and people are mad about it. The tax cut is still very unpopular. Most of the benefits flow to us the property and stock owners. The rest of the people we tell to go drive for Uber and amazon, make min wage with no benefits and job security, take it or eff off.

Tariffs is just like another tax. It will hit Walmart shoppers the worst. Elites like us can just watch on the side with glee like it’s some sort of a game.

Being green is the hip, not really something people care about. IF they did, they would recycle more, consume less, and os on.

1 Like

If you have world wide trade, then you won’t have security. Security comes from being the best.

I had a Prius and solar. Did my green bit. Now I want a Camaro SS convertible. Lot more fun than a Tesla for half the price.

1 Like

Bernie would have been a disaster. The only executive job he had was mayor of Burlington Vt.
The guy is a gadfly and a joke. He cost Hillary the election not the other way around. The Bernie wing of the Democratic Party will create their downfall.
If Elizabeth Warren runs in 2020 Trump will win.

Gadflies accomplish nothing … except Hillary’s defeat

Get an f150. Ultimate fun.

Love my 4Runner. 2006, will out live me.

Trump’s new midterm threat: A trade war smacking voters

If all of the tariffs that have been proposed take effect, they would bring down long-run U.S. GDP by 0.47 percent — about $118 billion — in the long term and cost more than 364,000 jobs, a new analysis from the Tax Foundation shows. The International Monetary Fund also warned this week that trade tensions could cut global output by some $400 billion by 2020, and that the U.S. is “especially vulnerable” to effects of an international slowdown.

Price increases would vary by product, ranging anywhere from a few cents on a can of beer or soup to around $6,000 on a family car, if the administration moves forward with auto-specific tariffs it has threatened.

I think for those who believe trump tariff is bad. Please go sell all your property, all in and margin to short the market. Put your money where you believe :grinning:

1 Like