Tricks of the successful trade : entry, exit, price, position size, risk , upside and strategies

You catch a falling knife only if you are bullish about a stock in a bull market.

Ideally, you want a bullish divergence e.g. price with RSI or stochastic, oversold, and touching support such as horizontal, trend line, popular SMAs/EMAs e.g. 50-day, 200-day, 13-week.

1 Like

This is counter-intuitive. I though you catch falling knife when prices are falling under illusion that prices are low.

What does the above line mean? What do you want bullish divergence for? For a falling knife to happen ? Or you want to buy during bullish divergence? What is bullish divergence? When prices are moving upwards while the indicators are bearish?

Rare ideal set up.

Thanks. I am cross-posting in the tricks thread

Cut n paste from the same thread of your question :slight_smile: Completion of intermediate degree wave i soon, assuming it is not an extended wave (refer to EWT, can web search). The price is fairly close to previous high of $82-$83. Traders tend to sell near round numbers of course, sometimes undershoot, sometimes overshoot, a little. I have a few position, close SQ so I can spend more time on VEEV and TWLO. Missing a few dollars is ok in the grand scheme of thing.

ccda7e3db868ee3279e659bc3e124ba97b1a7843_2_653x500

I am holding SQ in a trading account, obviously I trade :slight_smile: Seriously, I don’t have enough money to hold stocks. The only buy n hold equities I have are AAPL and S&P index fund :slight_smile: Thought I said many times :wink: For buy n hold, I don’t monitor price charts, care more about leadership, business model/ strategy and competitive environment (esp moats). Btw, I like Jeff Lawson CEO TWLO better than Jack CEO SQ.

Edit:
IMHO, TWLO and SPLK are buy n hold candidates as their tech can be “infrastructure” for others apps as such could be around for a long time. SQ has tons of competitors, WS favors PYPL. However, I sense Jack is ambitious, he has big vision, so if you are willing to bet on him, is ok to buy n hold and hopefully one day can enjoy the big Tesla moment.

I am glad i sold SQ yesterday following your advice. But, I held on to PAYC and sold at 3% loss this morning. I gained overall 10 % on the trade. I wish I could get better in planning exists. I could have kept more.

DXCM is clearly in an up trend.

2 Likes

Use weekly chart for position trading (daily chart for swing trading),

1fb677082c51a7aaffadb0a0ee4d6c58df96c45d_2_690x292

2 Likes

Technical analysis isn’t necessarily about the pattern itself, it’s about the psychology of what’s going on within the pattern.

At any point of time, we have investors and traders buying and selling so the pattern is a composite pattern (guess you have learned signal processing). Ideally we want to isolate the pattern for each group of investors/traders, in practice, technicians use moving averages. Longer time frame MAs for investors’ psychology, shorter time frame for traders’ psychology.

1 Like

For further deep reading here you go

In a raging bull market, any long strategy will work. Blindly buy work too - proven by my mad money portfolio - no FA, no TA, no analysis, pick based on many articles on them. We only know when the tide subsides which strategy actually work. Btw, definition of work is? Better than S&P?

1 Like