Uber is doomed

Yah it doesn’t look good, I dont know why they released the numbers. Growth is slowing (and a good chunk of the growth was from new money losing ventures like Uber Eats). At current trajectory they won’t even break even for another 5-6 years. How do you justify the valuation?

2 Likes

Justify on revenue growth rate. Narrower loss on 65% rev growth rate is very significant. That means Uber is not “subsidizing” users’ rides to the same degree as last year. The unit economics improves quite a bit.

I took my first Uber ride two weeks ago. It’s their new product where I had to walk a couple blocks to meet the driver and share the car with other pool customers. It’s a short ride, only a mile or two, and only cost me $5. The wait is very short. In 10 minutes I was already in the car, including the time it took me to walk 3 blocks.

Uber is really revolutionary. If you live in big cities like SF with no kids, having a car is really optional now. Uber makes transportation very liquid and on demand.

SHOP is growing just as fast and not blowing through cash like a drunken sailor. There are companies hitting profitability and growing 30%+.

Those companies aren’t in network-effect winner-take-all kind of markets. Most markets have only one ride sharing operator. If Uber didn’t screw up so badly it should have killed off Lyft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-27/toyota-is-said-to-invest-500-million-in-uber-for-self-driving

No problem fund raising despite losing billions, those ebikes and scooters must be killing it. :wink:

1 Like

Uber to Invest Over $150 Million in Toronto Driverless Car Hub

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/uber-to-invest-over-150-million-in-toronto-driverless-car-hub?srnd=premium

I want to start a club. Wow.

The one good thing about calling an ambulance is that you get priority service from the hospital. They take the ambulance patients straight to rooms an bypass the triage nurse.

1 Like

Moved to other Tesla thread.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Just realized you posted this…was going to post a similar article, lol.