Uh Oh....The Layoffs Begin

True. It needs more improvement and it can’t be a search engine since last updated training data was from sept 2021. It doesn’t know Ukraine war. It can’t be totally neglected as well. May be it has some use but currently all chatgpt posts are hype/ excitement posts and ppl will forget it in few days.

2 Likes

A lot of startups are hyped with publicity for IPO purposes. However, if they do not have real stuff, they can not survive long.

In this recession, we will see Thousands of such companies vanishes in next 2-3 years.

In year 2008-2012, real estate downturn resulted appx 465+ banks went bankrupt/closed stage.

1 Like

I’m hearing anyone with security clearance is safe from people at a couple different companies. That’s because it requires US citizenship, and there aren’t enough engineers who are US citizens. It’s appears to be the ultimate layoff insurance.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Good, spread the talent.

1 Like

idk about tech but biotech/pharma has ALL the levels

AD
D
SD
ED
VP
SVP
EVP
etc

1 Like

Most old big tech companies have all these levels and more.

A new grad is AD? A SG government scheme has this designation.

Sound like SG bank. New Grad is AVP :wink:

1 Like

I’m seeing a lot of chatter on LinkedIn about labor hoarding. Companies are keeping people with key skills even if they have too much headcount. They’ve learned that pivoting from layoffs to hiring takes a long time, and they miss out on opportunities due to lack of headcount to execute.

That will be interesting. It might minimize the overall impact of layoffs. Steve Jobs did this at Apple in 2008. His stance was recessions come and go, and he wanted the strongest possible product lineup when it ended. Since no one knows when it will end, that means always having the best product lineup. It’s a huge advantage when the recessions ends and competitors are playing catch-up.

2 Likes

Can only be done if the company has high FCF.

R&D only. Can still layoff cost centre staff.

2 Likes

…cuts concentrated in its devices business, recruiting and retail operations.

…Mr. Jassy. He added that the majority of the cuts are on the retail and recruiting areas of Amazon.

Not many SWEs.

I’m not surprised. I’ve been hearing the number was 20,000 which included not backfilled attrition.

1 Like

There are a lot of ex-Amazon people there.

2 Likes

Lot of redundant work between different teams in Amazon I hear. And then teams/Directors/Managers fight to get their own team’s feature/product on the page/system.

I think that’s very true on the retail side where there’s a bunch of ways to buy diapers or any product. The operations and supply chain are unified behind all the different customer facing options. I expect there to be winners and losers on the retail side that leads to consolidation. The operations and supply chain teams should be less impacted.

1 Like

Twitter Layoffs from Gizmodo.

At least three-quarters of the formerly ~7,000 Twitter full-time employees no longer work at the company, according to an analysis from Tech Crunch. And in late December 2022, a source close to the matter told Gizmodo that about 7,500 staff had been reduced to about 1,750. That same source also noted that the number of contractors had been drastically reduced too, from about 5,000 to about 1,000.

To show case how tight a ship Elon Musk’s companies run here’s a real conversation I had with the Service guy in Audi Dealership.

ME: It would be great if I can get my car back earlier because my other car has been rear ended and is in a shop.
ADVISOR: Sorry to hear that. what kind of car is it?
ME: TESLA Model 3
ADVISOR: Oh ok… bla bla(why he will be late…)… I used to work at Tesla and worked there for 5 years. I used to be running around all the time there and had no time. Here I have all the time in the world.
ME: Don’t be too loud in saying that :slight_smile:
ADVISOR: :slight_smile: