Update On Who Is Hiring And Firing

Yeah. I figured I should learn one of the more recent languages (Python probably) and I have the book.

In all honesty, I’m generally really good at puzzles/contest situations, so the technical part of the interview should be fine. Buzzwords and terminology are not my strong point though.

no python please. c++/java are always solid for interviews.

buzzwords are not a thing really with interviews. it’s mostly these nonsense algorithm questions.

Interesting? Why? I thought C++ was considered “archaic”, but if someone would prefer that it might make sense as one of the places i want to apply programs in C++.

Which ironically I’m probably very good at–contest questions have always been my thing. I don’t think though it would be a good judge of how I would be day in and out when it comes to doing a year long project.

for interviews, the exactl language doesn’t matter really (unless they hire you for objective c or something). Pseudocode is almost always fine (ironically, it’s a lot like python hahaha).
Google still runs on C++, and java on server.

I never heard anyone having hard time for not knowing the exact syntax of a language.

You can pick up any language within a week or two. Languages are the job of the compiler, software is yours :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You probably havent done interviews recently. A lot of these smaller shops nowadays just hand you a laptop (or bring your own) and ask you to write the code & compile & finish off unit testing. And often they’ll give you a repository to work off of, so things can get as real as someone doing the actual work at their firm.

Python isnt bad, and these days even javascript is a thing. But in general, yeah the language doesnt matter unless the job is a bit more old school (embedded system eng gigs etc).

2 Likes