Valuation for Robinhood, Maker of App That Offers Free Stock Trades, Tops $5 Billion

Robinhood is screwed. Is Robinhood started by experienced entrepreneurs or new graduates? I don’t expect this kind of issue from experienced managers.

relatively green founders

1 Like

Even Fidelity goes down sometimes. Shit happens. How they respond is what matters.

2 Likes

Fidelity certainly didn’t go down for whole day right? I certainly hope not.

What a bunch of jokers :clown_face: Just roll off and die already!

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

I always thought they marketed themselves for casual investors who save small amounts. That’s why they didn’t do commission and bundle your order with others to lower cost. They weren’t supposed to be a day trading platform and probably weren’t designed for it. You know what happens when sales sees a new market and engineering says the products wasn’t designed for the use case. Sales makes the sale and engineering cleans up the mess afterwards.

3 Likes

…
According to its blog post, [Menlo Park, Calif.-based] Robinhood has added 3 million accounts this year.
…
According to Bloomberg, which broke the news of the firm’s then-impending funding round, Robinhood recorded around $60 million in revenue this March, three times its February result. It is unclear if the firm can continue that pace of revenue generation during the remainder of 2020, but Robinhood’s trailing valuation multiple would decline sharply if the feat was possible. (Revenue multiples are broadly contracting as the economy slows, and investors project slower growth amongst startups.)

If you are not paying for a product, you are the product.

Most of the brokers, such as ibkr, TD water, ally and Merrill edge, etc uses few HFT ( multiple HFTs who gives competitive commissions).

Everything disclosed in user agreement and time to time agreement releases.

Retailer always loses 5% to 10% on markup by using such brokers.

AFAIK, fidelity and vanguard does not use any HFTs.

Limit orders are a thing for a reason. People who buy/sell using market orders should stick to index DCA investing.

1 Like

Please pay us :slight_smile:

RH is not the only culprit :shushing_face:

1 Like

Don’t make sense. Is not possible for a kid to borrow so much $.

Few possibilities,

• Fake story.
  • Is a virtual account.
  • a RH bug.

How come he is able to trade futures? The only way to lose tons of money in a short time in options is to short naked calls or short naked puts. This type of options are only available for very experienced option traders and subject to stringent trade restrictions.

Companies Pitch Shortwave Radio to Shave Milliseconds Off Trades

They say they can beat fiber-optic cables in getting data across oceans.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-17/companies-pitch-shortwave-radio-to-shave-milliseconds-off-trades?srnd=businessweek-v2

Seems like an interface design flaw that killed the guy.

Twitter Freaked Out Over
Robinhood Selling Its
Trade Flow. But the
App —and Others — Have
Been Doing It for Years.

#FinTwit wants a Robinhood
takedown. This probably isn’t it.

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1m2p1cv68bx56/Twitter-Freaked-Out-Over-Robinhood-Selling-Its-Trade-Flow-But-the-App-and-Others-Have-Been-Doing-It-for-Years

I was $1m in debt underwater once, unemployed and living with roommates. I thought it was cool. I would tell my dates I was a millionaire. Didn’t mention wether it was positive or negative. This kid had no imagination.

2 Likes