We Are in Bear Market

manch’s dictionary is different !

Dump means “Buy”, Bankruptcy means “Great Growth”

2 Likes

The Huawei Executive’s Arrest Is Igniting Fear. The U.S. Should Take Notice. - The New York Times

Over spicy hot pot last week after the announcement of Ms. Meng’s arrest, an American-educated Chinese tech entrepreneur told me that he wouldn’t travel to the United States unless necessary. Another Chinese tech figure, one who is backed by American money, discussed whether he should give up his beloved iPhone for a Huawei smartphone.

Patriotic Chinese will smash their iPhones and buy Huawei phones instead.

The last time I saw so many liberal-minded Chinese elites so disappointed by the American government was after the bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, Serbia, in 1999, which killed three Chinese nationals. The United States said it was a mistake, and President Bill Clinton apologized.

“Out of national security consideration, we can start thinking about the possibility of ousting Apple from China,” Fang Xingdong, the founder of ChinaLabs, a technology think tank in Beijing, wrote on WeChat.

On Chinese social media, jingoism is running high. “A guilty conscience needs no accuser!” “Boycott Cisco!” “Let’s detain Tim Cook of Apple!”

This time is different. Huawei is among the most respected private enterprises in China. The world’s biggest telecom equipment maker and No. 2 smartphone maker, Huawei is frequently exalted in China’s business world for elbowing out its bigger Western rivals and developing cutting-edge technologies.

There are all kinds of tales about how hard Huawei engineers and salespeople work. Many entrepreneurs told me that they respected Ren Zhengfei, Huawei’s founder and Ms. Meng’s father, more than high-profile Chinese internet tycoons like Jack Ma of Alibaba and Pony Ma of Tencent because Huawei is the only Chinese corporation with a truly global footprint.

Quora: What is the likely Chinese response to Huawei’s CFO being arrested in Canada?

Moreover, it’s not like it was just a random high-level executive that was arrested — it was the daughter of the founder . It really cannot get much more personal than that. Chinese people are angry about this, in a way I have not seen in quite some time. If your goal was to make Chinese people — many of whom had a generally positive view of America and American brands — start to swear off and boycott American brands forever, this was about as brilliant a move as any out there.

I am pleasantly surprised by the measured response of the Xi team so far. But make no mistake. This is an inflection point. US/China relationship has forever changed.

No friends forever, no foes forever. So long has mutual benefits can be friends.

1 Like

I think Amerians can care less about how Chinese people feel. Just look at the behavior of some posters on this forum… :slight_smile:

Well apple shareholders should care. :wink:

Only @hanera and I… :rofl:

You two need to switch to Huawei phones. :smile:

Maybe you should figure out how to own some Huawei stocks… aren’t you the FOMO king?

I agree with Goldman’s analysis. Fed will probably hike this month and tone down a bit for next year. The number of future rate hikes are what the market cares about. It’s like stocks - current quarter’s beat is meaningless if the forecast for upcoming quarters is weak.

I see this way.

Apple trade-in old iPhones to new iPhones. In short, they discourage selling old iPhone models as buy-in ( destroy) product to be replaced by new iPhones.

In fact, China banned all old iPhones ( which is buyin model of Apple ) and allowed new models which is Apple agreesively sales pitching.

Remember, when cheap Samsung and pixel models are available, people go for higher cost iPhone by addiction.

In addition, China old phones will not have any support by ban, holders can not resell old phones which Makes them buy new iPhone models.

The ban helps Apple than hurting it, that is why aapl went down to $165 momentarily and came back $169.

1 Like

After writing the above, just noticed yahoo finance

1 Like

Was the company breaking the law and selling technology bought from US companies to Iran? It’s irrational for execs who aren’t selling US tech to Iran to worry. It’s not what happens in China where political enemies mysteriously vanish. Everyone knows where she’s being held and why.

If people don’t think it’s an issue, Iran just tested an ICBM that can carry a nuclear warhead to Europe. That didn’t violate the agreement Obama signed with them, since the agreement was so poorly worded. Turns out the Iran agreement (that Obama wouldn’t shut up bragging about) is useless. Just like the Paris climate agreement. He’s king of signing worthless agreements.

I guess some people think it’s cool for Iran to get nuclear weapons and missiles.

Samsung and Ericsson probably sell more to Iran than Huawei, and everyone of course uses American components. We are selectively enforcing the law, I think most people would form their own opinions on this.

Russia and Israel may even sell weapons to some countries we don’t approve. Are we going to enforce US law on all the countries? Or vice versa?

These laws were made by US lawmakers. If we want to enforce these laws, we would have to tell every customer that the foreign customers would be subject to US laws if they use Armenian components on their products. This would make our products less competitive and will help the competition better.

3 Likes

Exactly. Many Americans (including many bloggers in this forum) conveniently ignore this.

1 Like

Too many laws and too many regulations. We need to deregulate.

What if the police arrests you when they found out that one of your tenants is undocumented?

What if the police arrests Bezos when they found out that his gardener is undocumented?

What if you sell a house to someone who might be a Nazi?

What if your rent your house to someone who wa found to be a terrorist?

If there are too many laws, everyone can be jailed. If you did not stop behind the pedestrian lane perfectly, you are breaking the law. When you talk angrily with your kid, you are breaking the law.

That’s exactly the point! Have many laws and then selectively enforcing it! Selectively loudly pronounce it!

Any proof of any the speculation? That’s all the rebuttal arguments seem to be.

There are plenty crimes to enforce about. Is this former Canadian diplomat a real spy?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-canadian-diplomat-held-in-china-11544545983

BEIJING—A former Canadian diplomat who researches North Korea and other issues for a global monitoring group has been detained in China.

Michael Kovrig, a senior adviser with Brussels-based nonprofit International Crisis Group, was detained after traveling to China this month to work on a research report on North Korea, a person familiar with the matter said Tuesday.

2 Likes