West Menlo worth it?

Another point about Caltrain: if you want to take the baby bullet, keep in mind that it only stops at certain bigger stations like PA and RWC. I don’t think it stops at SC. Google it.

You could drive from PA to Daly City and take BART to SF. It would take about 30 minutes to drive and 20 minutes for the rest of it. Much faster than Caltrain.

If you want to take BART why not buy in Millbrae or Burlingame and take BART from the Millbrae station? Public schools are solid in both Millbrae and Burlingame.

We are dragging the guy further and further up north. Pretty soon he will be buying in SF. :rofl:

Waze Carpool to City - $6 one way - Cheaper than Caltrain :slight_smile:

There’s also the question of whose commute should be shorter? The husband or the wife? Who will come to school in the middle of the day to pick up if the school calls?

Ive had success in having wife close to work and me driving far. Otoh think about who would switch jobs to shorter commute. That was the mindset when we moved from sf to mtv. We liked being in the city, but when we’re 40+? We’d be fine watching netflix most evenings instead of going to bars.

Bullet train from mtv to sf isnt that bad for 1~2 yrs. :wink:

Heh, this is the first time I heard about it. Thanks for that!

As most of you know, we also moved from Fremont. So far I don’t see anything “pretentious”, but we are also in South Palo Alto. Parents of our kids friends are same friendly as in Fremont, but our experience might still be too short to make full judgement call.

One thing we quickly adjusted to since we moved is how PA is bike friendly and now we go to library, YMCA, grocery store often with bike.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I have a theory that is quite dark, but I do think the likelihood is not that low.

The corona virus will not be contained. I actually think it can be contained in China because the government is very powerful, but in the rest of the world even in developed countries like Japan and South Korea it’s very hard to prevent it from spreading once it has shown up. We will have to see. Once it spreads to countries with not-so-advanced medical system it will become impossible to contain.

The official death rate is around 2%, or 1 in 50. The reality is it’s probably much lower, but it probably will still be much higher than 0.1% which is the typical flu mortality rate. If I assume 0.5%, that’s 1 in 200. That’s still very high. Also the new virus hits older people dis-proportionally hard. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 1% death rate for people 70 or older.

Palo Alto (and Menlo Park, and surrounding cities, or the rest of the bay area) is full of old people. When I moved to PA my family is one of the only 3 families with school age kids on our block (and we have an extra long block). When my oldest was selling girl scout cookies we knocked on every door on our block and more than half are retired folks, some of whom are really old (80+, several 90+). So I can imagine if/when the new virus hits it’s probably going to empty a few houses just on our block. And btw, they are all regular folks (maybe except one, I need to google him) who just happened to have bought in Palo Alto long ago. I do have a hotshot lawyer neighbor on the other side of my fence but not on our block. We get along ok, my kids feed their cats when they are on vacation. And they haven’t had an issue with our backyard chicken.

Waiting for new inventory to show up in places like Palo Alto is pretty much just waiting for someone to die. It sounds cruel but it’s true. So I predict that there will be a wave of new inventory coming onto the market some time after the pandemic hits. Maybe it’s time to hold your horses and wait for them to show up if you are planning to buy into these cities. The only good thing against the pandemic is that when it gets hot the virus will become very limited in infectiousness, but maybe it’ll just focus on spreading in the southern hemisphere until after summer.

Anyway, just a dark thought.

That would be @manch 7x7 pond, full of homeless. State department has decided to bring in boatload of possibly infected including 14 confirmed infected Americans (I believe likely to be old, from my numerous cruise experience, mostly old people go on cruise vacation) to SF. So 7x7 could be the epicenter.

Almost the entire Fortress not just PA.

Homeless are the safest from the virus. They live alone and don’t have much contact with other people. And they sure won’t have money to go on cruise or visit China. :rofl:

Huh? You think I am a vegetarian?

They pick up scraps left over from coronavirus infected rich guys. Remove your blinkers. Think out of a box!

So far San Francisco has zero confirmed cases while Santa Clara county has two. Who has the blinders on? :rofl:

You will get 14 soon!

Trump is going to start shipping us coronavirus cases as punishment for impeachment…

1 Like

Hillsborough is cheaper than I expected. Per foot price it’s even lower than Millbrae.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Hillsborough/280-Woodridge-Rd-94010/home/12226426

@skz The 967 N California house is pending. Was that you? :grinning:

Yes and no. This is basically the bottom of the market. Not much natural light, no view, no yard. But very quiet/peaceful with trees all around, neat layout and finishes (we went to an open house). And you’re in Hillsborough!

Doesn’t matter. @manch can’t afford. He is always day-dreaming.

Haha well if mortgage rates go to zero when we have a coronavirus pandemic…even $2.5M is basically free! Except for the property taxes…

1 Like