West Menlo worth it?

Hillsborough has been cheaper for years. Hilly, isolated and takes forever to get to the freeway. PA and MP are more in demand. Plus most Hillsborough houses are old and need lots of updating.

My impression of Hillsborough is that many are Chinese people who own businesses in the city. I have no idea whether that’s accurate or not. SV types tend to live either further down south in the Bay or in the city. HB is kinda in the middle geographically, and doesn’t have the cachet of Atherton.

But hey, don’t get me wrong, I’d love to live in HB! :laughing:

HB has the hilly cheap areas and the flat areas closer to Burlingame and San Mateo services. Larger close in homes on flat lots are a lot more expensive. Lots of foreign residents, many only live there part time. Atherton has better weather, better lots and a SV location.

What’s Hillsborough without the legend Stanley Lo?

I love beautiful things, particularly art, and I love properties. My mansion in Hillsborough is 11,000 square feet on 2.1 acres and used to be owned by the Tobin family. I bought several of their estates including their grandchildren’s and mother’s properties, as well as all the neighboring properties. Then there’s the $22 million, 20,000 sq. ft. mansion in Vegas that I bought in foreclosure for much less than the listed price.

Lots of stories about Stanley. He built Skyfarm. Was an owner of Taiwan airlines. Was Taiwan Mafia. Owned a travel agency. I don’t know what’s true but I have met him a few times… he is a character. Looks like a miniature Elvis. Must be at least 80.

Nope… not me.
I did try, but my bid was too low :frowning:

Just keep bidding.

I have noticed quite a few back-on-market listings in the past couple of days. The real estate market will probably cool off too following the stock market’s epic selloff. I am finishing my cashout refi and hope to score a deal or two.

1 Like

Most interesting Stanley quote.

I think the buyers are starting to get more cautious. The high-end market, anything above $7 million, is weakening because buyers want to spend less, or they don’t feel we’ve hit bottom. The middle market, $3million + is gradually softening, with fewer multiple offers. It’s all about precise pricing. Over-priced homes are not selling. Under $3 million, the market still remains strong in certain Bay Area locations because we have no supply and a lot of demand.