What's the next killer product?

Successful != Long Life
Go to the mountain :slight_smile: make sure have emergency services :slight_smile: or you may die of starvation or poisoning.

Hire some millennnials to slave for you instead.

Already here. Smart watch :slight_smile:

Millennials honestly donā€™t cut it. Work is fairly analytical and deals are milions of dollars at stake. Sometimes, I wonder if the 5 digit bonuses are worth itā€¦(sheet, taxed away anywayā€¦)

Tech trend for next decade:
Smart wearables
Live streaming everything
AR proliferation
Voice activated products proliferation

Voice still feels very unintuitive, sadly.

All these are old tech, nothing new in the list.

With the lack of new tech, biotech may need to become hot and save Silicon Valley

Are you sure? Where are you counting now? Notice I use the word everything and proliferation. If you are talking brand new, donā€™t know yet. For investing, we want to know when a tech is booming not when it is invented. For example, I was researching on solar cell close to 50 years ago :slight_smile: as a student but was hot only less than 15 years ago. AI and robotics was invented very long ago too.

Boston is better at bio.

Thereā€™s a ton of hype around ā€œsmart homeā€ products. I feel thatā€™s just a small improvement over what they currently do. Itā€™s not enough to make people go buy a new refrigerator right now. When people naturally replace the old one, then theyā€™ll get one with new tech.

I think electricity and water are in need of massive disruption in terms of cost structure. If solar panels and battery systems got good and cheap enough, they could be used to power the world without having to build, update, or maintain a grid. Thatā€™s a game changer for developing countries. Water is a massive resource issue. Either new drilling tech to unlock underwater reservoirs or really cheap desalinization.

Fuel cell has been hyped for a long time, but itā€™s not commercially viable at true scale. Cars that use gas and produce water was a by product would be a game changer.

Stem cell and using the immune system to fight diseases/cancers could both be huge. The issue with stem cell is thereā€™s nothing to patent to make money on it. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™d be patent worthy on the immune system side.

As far as Refrigetrators . They used to last 30 years. Now they only last ten. The electronics and tech have made them less durable not more. Same with almost all other appliances.

3 Likes

Gene modification.

Modify me!!! I need better genesā€¦ :rofl:

Boston leads in robotics too, right?

I saw biotech and got excited :slight_smile:

I think Boston or San Diego or any other city leading Bio has actually been the bottleneck of the entire industry. There simply isnā€™t enough blind money there.

Also, the difficulties in biotech may be that itā€™s inherently a more difficult field for laymen (i.e. VCs) compared to ads, retail, transportation, etc (How many VCs have investors with science degrees compared to business / CS?).

But when things sound simple enough, VCs throw money at them: look at Theranos for example. Despite their blatant lies, I was actually pretty excited to see such simple business potentially taking off. Also for 23andme. Until these simple businesses taking off, I just donā€™t see how the next Genentech of the world can succeed. Those markets are super hard to crack, with so much legal BS.

Seems Boston and Bay Area are the top 2. We are so good we are winning every competition.

Also, tech companies donā€™t have years of government trials before launching a product.

Inherently most of biotech is driven by research institutes. Boston has mit, harvard, their biotrch extension, plenty of hospitals etc. It is a hard field and fda is a very lenghty process for right reasobs. And human health is no joke, certainly not something you can hackaround in a weekend. As time to exit gets lengthened so is the risk.

This Startup Slices the World Into 57 Trillion Squares

Many places lack a system for addresses. What3Wordsā€™ solution is to give every spot a three-word designation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-08-28/mapping-startup-aims-to-disrupt-addresses-using-three-word-system

I ever had to pay anyone to use my current address though.

1 Like