Which state is the most optimal for software engineers with 3-5 years of experience to live in the USA?

Which state is the most optimal for software engineers with 3-5 years of experience to live in the USA?

Jessica Su

Jessica Su, machine learning engineer

Answered Jan 19

You should move to the Bay Area if you’re a single woman, New York if you’re a single man, and Seattle if you’re married.

Of course, if you have other factors pushing you strongly towards a city (say, all your friends moved to the Bay Area, or you have a great job offer in New York), you should move to that city. But all else being equal, I would choose based on family (and potential family).

1 Like

Confirm your instinct to stay :slight_smile: And my instinct to leave. Now, I need to explore NY.

Pity her handsome husband.

@manch claims that Quora is junk info yet he reads it frequently. Btw, he conveniently ignore this response from Nat Russo,

Personally, I believe if you’re looking for the perfect intersection of salary, cost-of-living, job market, and talent pool, you can’t go wrong with Austin, TX.

For those uninitiated, he has two daughters, as a tiger dad, he is looking for the best place including colleges where his daughters have the highest chance to meet highly desirable men.

Austin is very much an “eat out” culture. You can eat at a different restaurant every night of the week for a year and never hit the same place twice. Probably longer.

I notice many local (i.e. not chained like BJ, there is BJ near my house :slight_smile: ) restaurants and fast foods. Can compete with Singapore. For @manch who eat only Cantonese food, may be not.

Have you considered Vegas? There are many tech companies moving to both Vegas and Henderson. No state tax and low cost of living. Great weather except the brutal summers.

Why should someone move to the Bay Area if they’re a single woman? Boston would be way better. My understanding is that the brogrammer culture is highest in the BA.

Err… didn’t you move from Boston to the Bay while you were single?

No married. And frankly if I were still single, I’d want to stay in Boston to meet people.

1 Like