Why Are We Protecting Illegal Immigrants In This Country?

2 Likes

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article206132139.html

2 Likes

I don’t know if I posted it in this thread or another one, but there was a story that went viral about a woman arrested in front of her kids for being in the country illegally. At the time the border patrol said she was part of a human smuggling ring. It turn out that a local tv station did an investigation and found out that it wasn’t true. She was photographed with someone who was later arrested for smuggling but the charges were dropped. The border patrol has to use some common sense. Her three children, American Citizens, were depending on her for support.

2 Likes

Of course we are going to hear apologies from the crew not believing in second chances.

I just came back from “trying” to issue an insurance policy. We do an economic analysis, we just don’t give away the policies, we have our fiduciary duties well observed.

So, it results that my friend, who I know for many years, can’t reveal his identity by doing his tax returns. He is in the process of being petitioned by one of his kids now an American adult. We were talking about the latest ICE raids, and he told me they came to his house looking for “a lady”.

Of course he almost peed in his pants, but they didn’t even ask him any questions about his legal status.

He said ICE came to a house nearby, and talked to an individual through the front window. They didn’t have any warrant to enter the house but used fear and intimidation. They threatened the guy with arresting and deporting his wife and kids. The guy obediently went with them. No crimes, no nothing, 3 kids without a father now.

This is a vindictive initiative from the racist president. He has it against Hispanics big time.

Which brings me to speak of the hypocrisy of those supporting this vulgar and vindictive president. There are undocumented people who have done better things, worked hard to deserve no breaks from immigration raids, than the so called “model” in the white house who by the way lied to get a visa.

Can you believe it? Somebody, an immigrant, working as a “nude model”, which to me is a very suspicious “job” is allegedly deserving a visa for somebody with extraordinary skills. From there I don’t want to speculate to not upset the audience because…oh boy! We need to clarify that visa, big time!

Funny, isn’t it? Those advocating the fulfillment of the immigrations laws are the best abusers of it. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Resist the resistance? Not.Not = Yes

1 Like

It’s interesting you bring up apartheid because I was in South Africa recently and went to the apartheid musuem. I did not know a lot about the history of apartheid before I went. It is a really awful part of South Africa’s history.

They had all sorts of rules and blacks/“colored” people did not have the same papers as others. They weren’t really considered citizens! Everyone was classified by race and their identity papers said which one. Sometimes families were split up because one person might be considered white while another was colored. They didn’t have the same rights to education or the same rights in the workforce. They did grueling, hard jobs for little pay.

Now obviously we are not in an apartheid state. But there are a few aspects of it that felt eerily familiar. Who works below minimum wage and doesn’t have equal rights to jobs in the USA? Illegal immigrants. Who has families split because of differences in how family members are classified? Illegal immigrants. Who has (or feels they have) less access to police protection? Who cannot qualify for the same types of educational loans, and therefore does not have equal educational opportunities?

Solutions that will perpetuate a lack of rights for one set of people living in the USA feel unjust to me, and short sighted. I think we will look back on this in later generations as a cruel and embarrassing part of US history. We need a solution. To give people amnesty and then have firmer borders and legal migration in the future.

Edit: I don’t know if that’s the right solution but I know the status quo is not okay. South Africa had so many huge hurdles to overcome and they have come a long way. Definitely not perfect but they made big change happen. We need to not be afraid of big change too.

2 Likes

Sounds like this country 160 years ago.

1 Like

Rewarding bad behavior encourages more of the same & magnifies the problem in the long run.

1 Like

Yeah but I feel like right now the US is semi-rewarding and semi-punishing. Basically keeping a whole swathe of people in an undocumented, sub-citizen state - and throwing in enough accommodations for it to continue.

2 Likes

They were all born in South Africa though. They should have the same rights. Illegals aren’t born in the US. They don’t have the same rights as people born in the US. They choose to break the law to move tot he US. Breaking laws has consequences.

Personally, I’d love to see us revisit citizenship. It shouldn’t just be if you’re born in the US. You should have to be born in the US to a parent that has the legal right to be here. Otherwise you’re saying if you get away with breaking the law, then your kid is ok under the law. That encourages more and more people to break the law, so their kid can be a US citizen.

1 Like

It would not be semi rewarding if everyone gets behind Trump’s stated agenda on immigration. It is in a confused state because lot of the 0.1% people benefit disproportionately from it & their lobbying.

Bernie Sanders was against illegal immigration before he ran on the Democratic Party ticket.

If there is a referendum on one single issue I.e illegal immigration the result will be like brexit.

1 Like

Yeah I see what you are saying and that people are breaking the law to be here. It’s a tougher call when it comes to the kids. My best friend growing up was illegal and it wasn’t her choice to do it. And you know, at a certain point the kid doesn’t know the country that they’re legally a citizen of at all.

I didn’t know that about Sanders!

There is no way people will get behind trumps policy. It doesn’t matter what his policy is, he could make it 99% the same as one of Hillary’s stated policies and people would still not get behind it. He’s had a way of pushing things through despite resistance so maybe he can do it in his 2nd term.

What you said just validated my point about “legality”. Whether something is legal or not is pretty arbitrary. We can pass a law legalizing the dreamers tomorrow and that’d be fine with vast majority of Americans according to the polls I’ve seen.

The immigrant wave from Mexico is a thing of the past. Mexico’s population is getting old fast. We should secure the border, sure, nothing wrong with that. But to constantly hype up the “danger” of armies of Mexicans crossing the border is just playing to the xenophobia and frankly racist instincts of people. Most of these people don’t even live along the southern border.

2 Likes

We definitely need to secure the border. Then we should aggressively deport criminals. We shouldn’t need these signs in our country.

Per capita GDP of Mexico is $9000 vs $60000 in USA.

Guess which way the populations will migrate? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There you go.

1 Like

“That’s why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens. In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace as recommended by the commission headed by former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.”

That’s from a state of the union address.

1 Like

tourist visa ok?