Why Bay Area tech workers are packing their bags for Seattle

The official WA site has sales tax only at 40%, not 50. I guess it’s a matter of what you count as “tax”, what you count as “fee”…

The main reason tech guys and girls moving to Seattle is exactly this: they can keep the same job with the same company, no loss, only gain on lower/no tax and lower living expenses

For the family who gave up AAPL to move to a non-tech center, it’s a financial loss. But they may get a low stress life and they may prefer a non-nanny state. Money is only one of the considerations.

I would bet Terri would also move to Seattle in the end or just stay in CA forever. After the IPO, she might buy a mansion in RWC :grinning:

Thought some1 mentions that Jeff owns Seattle or something like that i.e. he has the votes, other people no count.

Paul Allen, not jeff

2 Likes

Paul Allen redeveloped the entire South Lake Union area. Pretty easy to get approval when the only neighbors within the notice radius are other buildings you own.

Seattle builds more not because of Jeff Bezos or Paul Allen. It’s Prop 13 working its dark magic in CA. Cities in California are incentivized NOT to build homes. Revenue is guaranteed to be better years down the road for offices and retail. Pols don’t have to provide amenities like parks and schools, and no ungrateful voters asking for this and that.

3 Likes

Have three tenants since I bought the rental property in SV. The first two went to Seattle :frowning: . Both told me COL is too high. Current one is less than 1 year.

So hanera has been rooting for Seattle tech talents for years. If I become a tech recruiter for Seattle, would def ask for your help [quote=“hanera, post:28, topic:1927, full:true”]

Have three tenants since I bought the rental property in SV. The first two went to Seattle :frowning: . Both told me COL is too high. Current one is less than 1 year.
[/quote]

If you want to attract talent, they need a place to live. You also need affordable places for service industry employees to live. How many people would want to live in a city without retail stores or restaurants?

I don’t think Bay Area is hurting for lack of either. We need a happy balance. The status quo is anything but. Every city wants jobs but not the bodies.

1 Like

You mean like the people in MA who shop in NH for liquor and fireworks? Yup.

1 Like

Given that housing is our major cost, I’d take that in a heartbeat (assuming housing isn’t taxable…).

I think some people confuse or mix the “people want some place to eat, or to have a drink, or whatever” with people wanting very badly a job. I believe people come for the job and its perks, the rest is extra, what matters is how much of that check they keep.

I agree with people when they tell me they are leaving for a better place, economically speaking, because I understand that when people like us, who are depending on a check or the occasional bingo win, can’t keep up with the high cost of living. I really can’t say I laugh, but I wonder how newbies in this area are opening the checkbook to buy a $2-$3 M home when their incomes are going to be tied to them not having a nice life. Then, kids come, and their lives turn miserable.

Work to live, don’t live to work.

Portland, Oregon

Population: 632,309
Average age: 36 years
Median home price: $414,200
Average monthly rent (two-bedroom apartment): $1,821

Seattle, Washington

Population: 686,800
Average age: 35 years
Median home price: $624,700
Average monthly rent (two-bedroom apartment): $2,746

Austin, Texas

Population: 885,400
Average age: 31.8 years
Median home price: $335,000
Average monthly rent (two-bedroom apartment): $1,419

San Francisco, California

Population: 837,442
Average age: 38.5 years
Median home price: $1,147,300
Average monthly rent (two-bedroom apartment): $4,597

2 Likes

Portland and Austin. The word “cheap” comes to my mind.

I think the word “hip” is supposed to come to mind for Austin.

Does that mean hip people are cheap? :slight_smile:

Blue cities and states are losing population. Red states are gaining population. Most people want a good life at a reasonable cost. Cheap is preferred over hip or hip++ by the mass

1 Like

No, it means that after buying a house in Austin, you still have money leftover to go to a concert and hang out in a cafe’. And you only have to work a 40 hour work week…

1 Like

In Austin you spend all your house savings on airconditiong, maintenance and property tax…Plus airfare to get of town in the summer