Why housing market may be softening (edit subject)

It seems the quota was reached in 5/6 business days?

The number of petitions were 190K, i.e. @2x+ the total.

So, I find it hard to believe that the Trump administration going to reject 55% of applications?

Hong Kong and Singapore are favored over India. Where did you hear that they favor white Europeans over non Europeans?

1 Like

Yah I am having prospective tenants routinely ask me about lease breaking now :confused:

1 Like

To my knowledge, USCIS does not discriminate against any country, but applicable to all H1Bs. Since Indians are high in H1B category, it is visible.

The clear aim is reduce outsourcing and encourage local jobs (exactly like the same tariff issue, applicable across abroad).

1 Like

We love parking engineers in Canada for visa issues, but I think that’s temporary thing.

The delay in green cards to Indians and Chinese (the two major sources of legal immigration) is caused directly by Obama’s directive to change how per-nation quota system is implemented. And, yes, Indians and Chinese did make noise then. But, none noticed because legal immigrants are not popular vote bank.

1 Like

Link?

1 Like

I am quite familiar with the H1 issue. The ones affected are from Indian outsourcing companies and the local outfits that subcontract to them. There have always been RFEs and recently the rate went up marginally. These people rarely buy homes and definitely won’t be able to afford anything in the bay area.

2 Likes

Firms like Infosys were abusing the system. There was one high profile case where Disney was going to layoff it’s IT workers and use Infosys at half the cost. That’s not how the system is supposed to be used.

1 Like

The RE slowdown is national. SALT limit of $10k, higher rates, buyer fatigue, stock market uncertainty . Election uncertainty. There’s a lot of reasons for the softness in the RE market. Definitely seeing it in Tahoe and Placerville. I doubt there any H1b issues here.

2 Likes

Anectodal: an indian friend has her current th paid off, and she was looking to buy an sfr. She is no longer looking because of uncertainty. I said, even if things dont pan out, you can still keep it and rent it as long as you work for a western branch of google. She is waiting for greencard still.

3 Likes

H1B issue is related to bay area as BA H1Bs are high.

I wonder if that’s why Seattle has slowed down some. The top 2 on the list are here.

So, I guess then the Big employers gained H1Bs during the 1st year of Trump Presidency? :slight_smile:

No wonder there is something called ‘Fake news’

My guess is those low paying bodyshopping companies where the worker gets at a max 80% & average 60-65% of the pay “might” get affected?(while the consultancy company pockets the rest). Using “might” because you always have to be aware of the power of money and lobbying which has controlled this for 2 decades.

2 Likes

Do you oppose H1B program? Are you against or for Trump?

I support the truth & don’t have a tribe mentality i.e. Trump vs NOT Trump(Not talking of elections but issues on either side).

The truth in this case is H1B program has not hindered legitimate/fair paying/“meeting USCIS definition” hirers from hiring people in 2017 & H1B hiring is up substantially in companies which hire based on “spirit and letter of the law”.

From the headlines on MSM some people would think the opposite(i.e. H1B hiring has dropped).

Then, the Qn is why is MSM reporting so much only one side(on this issue)? If we on this forum can deduce things by some internet search shouldn’t they be able to get to the bottom of the truth more easily?

1 Like

I also hate media’s dishonest and sensational reporting. Truth has become the antithesis for the media.

But H1B is indeed a topic people are talking about now. Uncertainty has def increased.

1 Like

There is a Bay Area model of paying some people(H1B immigrants) low wages initially. That might get disrupted.

I applause higher wages for all :joy:

Large companies do too :smile:

1 Like