Why Trump won

You should tell that to the democrats.

[quote=“marcus335, post:214, topic:1764, full:true”]
People forget that outside of California, Trump won the popular vote. The vote of the entire country was skewed by one state and it’s lean to the far left. California is the outlier here. It goes left at a pace that’s foreign to the rest of the country.
[/quote]I suspected that. Did you add up the numbers?

Yeah, right after the election. They delta for both was 2M + and California’s margin was bigger.

Yeah, if you take out all the people who voted for Hillary, Trump won by a landslide.

Los Angeles county alone has 10M people. More than 40 of the smallest states put together. People vote. Cows don’t.

2 Likes

The whole point of the electoral college is to prevent extremes in a large state from controlling the country. Do you think the rest of the country wants to be controlled by California? It prevented California from controlling the election.

The entire point of the 10th amendment is to keep federal government small. Even when the country was much smaller, the founders knew it was better to make decisions at a more local level. They knew policies that made sense in one state might not make any sense in another state.

If we make federal government smaller, make it only useful for defense and international relations, limits its power on economy, education, housing, civil rights etc, is it better?

That way, differences between states will be greater. Everyone can freely migrate to different state freely based on his or her preference.

Federal tax will be reduced a lot. CA will be free to tax businesses and Texas will also be free to not tax businesses.

2 Likes

I don’t know what does it mean by “controlled by California”. To put it another way you are saying Californians’ votes should be counted less just because they live in California.

Again, people vote. Cows don’t.

Electoral college has its roots in preserving slavery. Let’s not glorify it as some sort of democratic paragon. I don’t have problem accepting the EC election result, and the right should accept trump lost the popular vote.

2 Likes

You’re describing America pre New Deal programs which ushered in the era of big government. America existed for a long time without income taxes. America becme the biggest economy in the world before income taxes. This idea that we need a big government to have a large and successful economy isn’t founded in reality. Originally only 7% of people earned enough to pay income taxes. The rates were very low. We significantly increased the tax base to over 40% of people and increased taxe rates to fund WW2. Taxes collected as a percent of GDP sky rocketed. Only after the war the government kept collecting a similar percent of GDP in taxes and launched programs to spend it.

Rhode Island was actually the biggest proponent of the electoral college. They were a tiny state and knew their voice would be lost. They were afraid of that with just 13 states. Don’t forget the electoral college votes aren’t purely allocated based on population. Each state gets 2 + the ones based on population. Without that check and balance, the largest states could run over the smaller ones. It’s also why we have the senate with 2 seats per state.

1 Like

I think the country is ready to turn left in a big way, and that’s why Hillary lost the election.

Trump ran on an anti-globalization platform. He promised no cut to entitlement programs and claimed his health care plan will cover everyone. He convinced his base he’s anti Wall Street. Trump even toyed with the idea of federal maternity leave! The problem is that he doesn’t believe in any of this stuff.

Bernie’s platform is much closer to that of Trump than Hillary’s. I have now come around to agree that Bernie would have beaten Trump. Hillary represented the left’s compromise with the Reagan orthodoxy. Back in the 90s and 00s Dems could win elections running on a pro-business platform. But the Reagan orthodoxy is on its dying bed. Republican establishment initially resisted Trump because his is not an orthodox Republican platform like Romney’s was. And if Trump ran on the orthodox R platform he would have lost.

And that’s what this article gets to. There are mega-cycles in American politics. Fascinating read:

There are a lot of signs the grassroots are pulling the Dem party to the left. Anti-establishment, anti-trade, anti-globalization, strong labor were in the left’s home court:

The Dem party will likely go left in a big way in 4 years. If not, another term of Trump will kick everyone’s butt into action. So either 4 years or 8. A candidate like Warren running on an anti-globalization, pro-labor, pro-environment platform will be very potent. I won’t agree with many of his or her economic policies, but I will most likely vote for him or her. Not unlike Republicans held their noses and voted for Trump.

3 Likes

In England Labor went hard Left and they have been reduced to irrelevance. We’ll see. The economy is due for a recession in the next four years or sooner;a lot will depend on whether that can be avoided. Also, demographic trends strongly favor the Republicans.

This country has been mostly left since 1932 (especially if you compare control of congress). I think this is a new cycle breaking that. Just look at how many state legislatures and governor houses are republican now. Those numbers are I increasing not decreasing. The fact unions and blue collar labor no longer see democrats as their party isn’t going to help them. If you look at senate seats up for grabs, the senate will likely go more right. There are democrat senate seats in states Trump won. There’s very few of the opposite seats.

I hope that people are realizing that expecting the government to fix their problems is a path to never having your problems fixed. Plus, they’ll create even more problems. Think about the bill of rights. It is designed to protect us from the government. The founders thought those rights should be a given. Those rights aren’t something the government gives us which many people today are confused about.

Government is just like individuals, don’t give up something free. Hence, don’t give anything free.

Is this the reason why the military becomes so large? And now, imagine all kinds of foes to justify its size?

2 Likes

Do you mean right? Thought left = liberal = Democrats.

Military spending as a percent of GDP has been flat or down for decades. It’s social program spending that’s exploded. All those programs require lots of govnement employees to create rules and administer the programs.

1 Like

This is what I mean about taxes as a percent of GDP.

The Great Depression was a game changer. It created this desire for the government to financially protect people. FDR and democrats promised the protection and help. The country turned left and hasn’t really looked back. The biggest problem is most of the programs they implemented weren’t scalable and sustainable long-term.

Also, people love to reference Keynesian economic theories about government spending during economic slowdowns to stimulate the economy. The complete forget or ignore they are supposed to save the surplus from boom times, so the money is there to spend. We run a deficit even in the booms. Then we run a bigger deficit when we need to stimulate the economy. That’s not Keynesian economics.

One has to make the distinction between parties and policies. The modern Democratic Party has its roots in Bill Clintons 1992 rise. He took the party to a pro business platform. And it has remained so ever since.

Think Bernie vs Hillary. Those are the 2 directions the party can go. I suspect the D’s will go the Bernie way. And America is ready for a change in that direction. Just think about all the anti trade anti globalization talk. That’s classic left although not modern left.

2 Likes

Debt history

It seems that we are still seeing somebody being prejudiced and spouting the same trolled “illegal immigration” blah, blah, blah.

Some people who never have a chance to read when they are advised to look at the big thing in life, they won’t get in their stupid brains that this America is changing, not for the good of the “non-white”.

1 Like

ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa