Dropbox IPO?

Come on, @harriet, it is not like I am getting paid here…

Who has the best no-sql database? Is it still a thing? I know practically nothing on latest DB tech.

Depends on your needs :slight_smile: No silver bullet still. A friend of mine (rock solid developer) founded RavenDB - that’s probably something i’d bet on my eyes closed. But it’s a private company.
Amazon has dynamo. PEople use it plenty on AWS.
Google uses Bigtable a lot.

etc. It all depends on what you want to do with data. Mongo is not the most performant when it comes to batch processing etc.

Is LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL Perl) still a thing? I bet they’ve gone several iterations past that. It was back in my days… :laughing:

Perl is shitty! :rage:

it’s still rock solid. MySQL is getting displaced by Postgres.
Postgres was always better, but mysql had marketshare. it’s shrinking, i believe.

1 Like

P is not for Perl, but PHP.

2 Likes

PHP is even shittier! :rage: :rage:

who the hell cares :slight_smile: FB was in PHP.

If it fits, it ships!

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder! How could I mix up php with perl? It really does show how out of touch and rusty I am… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

P for python.

P is for Profit.

oh wait sorry… I thought we were talking about real estate.

MDB-MongoDB is free/open source database, any company take them and use it. If you need corp service, then you need pay for corp service.

LAMP is still free and growing. Almost 1/3rd of web servers in the world are LAMP.

All free/open source (LAMP and MongoDB) gives economic advantage to start up companies, and just established companies. Many big companies are also changing to MongoDB to improve profitability.

Hmmm, I did not notice MDB went IPO, good to get if it comes back to $26 level (double bottom).

MongoDB is best for open (free form) document search and retrieval system.

I’m using MYSQL, SQL, and Redshift right now. The biggest hassle is slight syntax or command differences between them and you can’t join data across platforms.

AFAIK, Orkut was home grown and not acquired.

You may prefer googlechat but the vast majority of users don’t. And I am saying maybe that’s a possibility with Dropbox vs Google drive as well. So don’t write it off completely!

I am not. I am just bearish. I believe most companies can be repivoted to be a different product/feature/etc. It just needs a visionary leader

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2018-02-27/dropbox-is-hard-to-value-because-we-think-about-it-all-wrong

1 Like

https://blogs.dropbox.com/dropbox/2018/03/google-cloud-integrations/

Filter bubble

Joining data across platforms requires different set of tools. You need to convert the data into a neutral format ( like avro ) , stream it through a data pipeline and build the joins on the fly and store somewhere. That’s one way to solve it.

1 Like