Resources for parents of going to go through California Education Systems

As parent of almost 4 years old (twin girls) and not being brought up in US / California education system, I feel unprepared. I don’t have a lot of friends who went through the system and give me some advice.

I have been researching about public vs private schools. My kids seem bright and able to pick up things as we taught them. I am wondering if there are any resources that you guys find helpful to understand California K12 education system, like recently I found there is sorta important exam at Grade 3 where they test gifted vs talented students (tracking?).

I would appreciate if you guys can / want to share your experience with local school unions. For background, I prefer to keep my kids in public school where my wife think extra attention at private school might be worthy investment.

In general, you want to ask if there’s “tracking” and at what grade level. Most often schools start tracking in 6th grade, but they hate the word because it means some kids are “smarter” than others. And that’s not PC nowadays.

Many teachers are afraid of “math acceleration” which means kids taking math earlier than “normal”. Normal is Algebra I in 9th grade. Being on track for Geometry in 9th grade is what I would consider a good school. Not that some kids can’t handle it earlier, but if a school will do that, great. You will hear the phrase “We don’t like to accelerate because kids look like they’re ahead, but don’t really know what they’re doing.” This is a BS way of saying “your child really isn’t as smart as they appear.”

The phrase “math at stage, not age” means that a school will place your kid according to their abilities. This is a very positive thing.

“Flipping the classroom” means that a kid watches lectures as homework and does their problem sets with the teacher going throughout the classroom to help. Los Altos is doing something like this using Khan Academy.

“Differentiated instruction” means that different kids are given different difficulties of homework according to their abilities. Good for a classroom with 25%-95%ile kids, but if you have a 99%thile kid, this is actually a bad thing because the teacher is promising to challenge your kid but is unlikely to actually give them anything that is a grade level or two or three higher. Occasionally you’ll find a teacher that really will challenge the 99th %ile kid, but most of the time they won’t.

Gifted & Talented programs depend on the district. Some are full-time programs (ie, your kid is in a different track, building, or even school), and some are “pull-out” which means occasionally your kid will get challenging material, but generally will be with the rest of the kids bored. Gifted is actually different from High Achieving. If your kid is in the 99%ile, there is a whole new level of comparison ranging from “moderately gifted” to “profoundly gifted” (one person’s opinions of the levels is here: https://eleanormunsonphd.com/2011/01/the-five-levels-of-giftedness/) which is measured in the idea that your kid is 1 in 100, 1 in 1000, 1 in 10,000, 1 in 100,000, … in their abilities. Kids in that range need a school that caters to their abilities and are often homeschooled. There are two schools that I know of that will do this K-12: Nueva and Harker, and a third school does this for math–Proof School (6-12). Basis Independent may or may not be appropriate for gifted kids–I don’t know enough about that school. Most public schools can help the kids that are 90-98%ile, but if your kid is in the 1 in 1000 and up range they may still be bored. But they will probably have a peer group they can identify with at least.

Testing for the programs varies by schools. You can find a list of tests here for people serious about testing giftedness:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/Young-Scholars/How-to-Apply/Qualification-Criteria

Sometimes the Cogat is used as well by schools.

I will still maintain that private school $$s are best spent grade 6-12 unless you’ve got a kid who is more than two years ahead in math or reading. I find that elementary schools are better at breaking up classes for reading, than math.

2 Likes

PS: If you want a good compromise, you could move to Redwood City and try to get your kids into North Star. They handle 80th %ile and up. Separate school–starts in 3rd grade. You can also apply if you’re out of district and see if you get in and then move.

https://www.rcsdk8.net/nsa

(That said, I thought you were in Cupertino, so maybe everyone there is 80th %ile and up :slight_smile: )

Thanks @Terri!

One of my worry is I don’t know what level of education my daughters will need until they go to school, and I don’t want to pre-mature optimize for that also I don’t want to late to response if they need it.

Is the adjustment is hard (tests and what not) if we decided to put them to private school in later grade like 8 or 10 when we know that they can actually benefit for that extra $$ spent?

Terri posted excellent summary.

I guess it is very important to understand the aptitude and interest of your children.
If your kids love STEM and highly motivated, I guess CUSD/FUHSD would be the best public schools in this area.
There are good number of 9th grader who take Calculus-BC in my kid school (my kid and her friends are taking it at 10th) and school actually encourages it saying that “those who take Calc-BC in 9th grade tend to get the best grade in the class”. They hardly discourage kids who want to go ahead of regular curriculum.
They are very supportive in math/science competition as well.
However, there are a few number of kids who take Algebra-1(There are geometry, algebra-2, pre-calculus between Algebra-1 and Calc-BC) at 9th grade as well and I suspect they feel left behind. Thus, if the kid doesn’t like STEM(especially math), CUSD atmosphere/curriculum may be challenging for them.

Although I sent my kids to only summer camp in Harker, I like the school.
Teacher/facility/program, all of them were excellent.
If tuition is not an issue, I would have sent my kids to Harker.
However, the school is very competitive, probably even more competitive than CUSD/FUHSD schools.

If your kids love sports/art/literature/music etc, then I am sure there should be good private schools to support such kids although I am not very knowledge in this area. (Please, share with me if you find any good information.)

3 Likes

Thanks @Jane! I definitely appreciate your feedback regarding education and parenting in a lot of threads.

I have the same question to you as posted to Terri above, how would one prepare now to be flexible when kids are not going to school yet. What did you look for in your kids when they were about 4 years old?

Excellent thread!

@myo - You have enough time to optimize with 4yr olds. Do the private pre-school and public KG route and by 2nd grade you’ll have enough data points plus perspective from 2-3 teachers to decide the future route. You won’t have missed anything by then. My personal opinion is to let the kids bloom at their own pace as far as academics is concerned till 3-4 grade and focus rather on getting kids introduced to a variety of extra-curricular before they turn 10. If the kid has experienced swimming, different sports, music, dance, etc etc, they can then choose what they like and pursue further. This may be STEM or it may be Music. You’ll never know until you have tried it all. CUSD public schools will be sufficient to give them a flavor of STEM so your time and $$$ are better spent giving them exposure to all the other things out there.

2 Likes

Just take it one year at a time.

In Kindergarten, kids are learning to count 1-20, maybe some addition at the end and they are just starting to learn to read. If you have a kid who is fluently reading before Kindergarten, that could be problematic–they learn to tune out the teacher because they can read the directions themselves, but otherwise they’re allowed to generally grab a book and read on their own. Similarly, if they are solidly multiplying before or during Kindergarten, that could indicate a bad match. If they are doing both, definitely put them in Nueva or Harker.

My goal is that my kids love school. That happens when they’re appropriately challenged. Because of the issues with #1, I didn’t teach #3 anything at all. She’s still on the higher end (90%ile and above), but at least she’s happy and she’s learning things. (#2 just doesn’t like school period. That’s just who he is.)

I would send the kids to public Kindergarten and see whether they’re happy. Don’t over prepare them.

1 Like

Somehow I think all the responses miss the point :grin:

What is the point?

Totally agree with all that intangible said. To add to the above–you’ll probably have standardized testing as well to help you understand how they compare to their peers. When you go to the parent-teacher conference ask them what range the class falls in. I find that teachers have always been open to answer that question.

My older kid is at 2nd grade. Twice a year the teacher hands out report that’s very finely detailed. Those are excellent data. Not only do you know how your kid is doing, you also have an idea how her level is compared to other kids.

One thing I intentionally did was to have my kid fall back half a grade. She was born in November. I know parents of November and December kids push the school district to let the kids go into 1st grade even though they would be the youngest kids in class. I am the opposite. I want my kids to be biggest and oldest in class.

I have no idea if my kid is gifted. Most likely she’s not. She is super happy to go to school everyday. She doesn’t like long holidays and once broke into tears telling us she missed schools. For me as a parent that’s enough already.

3 Likes

Yes. Is good enough. None of other respondents says this, just worry about academic. Btw, not that hard for Asians especially those from Singapore and HK to be rated as gifted in Maths.

Your child’s feeling is exactly opposite to me and my children. Hate schools, hate schools a lot, hate especially the English and literature teachers. Fyi, I didn’t attend many months of schools from Kindergarten till University, till pass easily :rofl: so really don’t think should focus on academic.

Is your question “should I buy my primary residence in good/expensive school district?” Vs “should I buy in the best investment opportunity and send my kids to private school?”

To be most flexible, you should buy your primary residence in good school district and based on the findings on your kids later on, you may want to send them to private school. As a matter of fact, a good number of families in good school district send their kids to private school.

If you are not limited financially, then sending private school like Harker/Castilleja can be an option. My impression about those school are they support kids with different talents pretty well. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I guess you would start to have decent idea about your kids’ aptitude/interest around 2-3rd grade.
(If they are truly gifted, I guess you would know by kinder. However, I have no experience in it. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Castilleja Is an all girl school for 6-12. Is it a good idea to go to a single gender school?

Also is Castilleja a top private school? I did not hear about it much

You all didn’t let me down. Such good information and feedback.

I just want to make sure I am able to provide environment that they feel challenge. I care about them being respectful individuals with open communication with the parents. The rest is cherry on the icing.

@intangible That’s exactly my draft plan right now, and thanks for validating it for me.

Yea, I like the fact that my kids will be 5.5 yrs old when they go to KG.

One good thing about kids being among the oldest in class is that teachers generally give them more responsibilities. That builds up the kid’s confidence and leadership skills. In this year’s teacher parent conference I told the teacher I want her to help develop my kid’s leadership skill.

1 Like

I run a small business myself and I used to be an engineer. The two roles have a lot of differences that makes me appreciate more a somewhat boarder approach to education.

For example I sometimes need to do some small design work. I really wish I had done some art and design classes. I need to write ad copies and I wish I were a better writer. I also wish I am a better small talker at parties and speak more fluent mandarin. Luckily I know a bit about money which nobody ever taught me.

Do you want to raise your kid to be an engineer? Or entrepreneur?

2 Likes

Two of mine are the youngest in the class, and that’s a good thing because they can be challenged more for their age. It really depends on the kid. #1 is in the middle, but I would’ve considered grade skipping him. I think though Nueva/Harker are better options if you can afford it and are considering grade skipping as kids that pick things up quickly keep on doing so. That’s why the 9th graders in Calculus do really well.

:+1: