2018 Housing Predictions

So obvious… bitcoin of course!!! :wink:

1 Like

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/housing-trends-2018/

Game-changer no. 1: Supply finally catching up with demand

After three years of a crushing shortage of homes for sale, the realtor.com economics team is predicting that the shortfall will finally ease up in the second half of 2018.

Game-changer no. 3: Southern homes selling like crazy

When it comes to home sales growth, bet on Southern cities to beat the national average in 2018.

Game-changer no. 4: Tax reform (maybe)

If a version of tax reform does pass with the current provisions affecting real estate, Hale says she would expect to see fewer home sales and declining home prices. However, it would be the upper price tiers that would likely be affected the most, in areas with expensive homes and high taxes, such as coastal cities, especially in California.

Renters will have more take home pay, but less people will buy homes.

The better time to buy investment property is coming.

3 Likes

I jumped ahead and bought another SFH in Austin :grin: Need to grab the bit coin from these richer renters.

To be honest, best time to buy investment property was back in 2011, not now.

Yes and no.
For RE investors yes.
For asset investors, stocks could be better. And now may be a good time to switch from stock to RE since RE in SV tends to decline less than stocks during a recession. Just an idea for dissertation (following the trend of using big words), not acting on the idea.

Both RE and stocks were a better buy back then than now.

1 Like

Tax reform may give a secular stimulus to renters thus landlords.

Best time to buy is now… Don’t wait to buy, buy and wait…
Does not matter what happened 6 years ago…can’t do a damn thing about it anyway

5 Likes

That’s right. 1995 was also a better time to invest than 2011. 1985 better yet. 1975 the best. :wink:

I’m not in USA. Also, still in college. Dead broke.

You mean, Top Ramen Period???

1 Like

I was lucky enough to be able to invest in 1976. Had $2000 saved from summer jobs. Bought a house with three others… turned that $2k plus sweat equity into $10k in 10 months… Was hooked on flipping for life…

1 Like

@hanera If you dont mind sharing, what zip in Austin are you buying in ? Thanks

78759 NW Austin - Low cap rate but good appreciation. Old SFHs on large lot (>10,000). Plan to re-develop in the future.
78717 Avery Ranch - Popular with hi-tech guys.
78660 Pflugerville, a suburb of Austin - High cap rate but low appreciation. New SFHs on smaller lot (<8,000).

Essentially, North of Austin. S/SW of Austin is good too… just want to stay focus.

1 Like

So lesson learned. Buy now before it’s 2045.

2 Likes

Of course with the advent of medicine I will only look and feel like a 40 year old by then… :rofl:

Don’t count on it.

But if you believe it–and even if you don’t–those will still be good stocks to invest in.