All about College!

I feel the headline should really be:

“People realizing spending $100-200k on liberal arts degree from no-name schools is a terrible idea.” There’s insane amounts of demand for STEM and medical programs. I think this is actually good for the long-term economy. People will avoid the college debt trap which kills their future spending.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I said this already here, but there’s a very simple way to increase your enrollment - hire top tier CS professors from top-name universities, create a top-tier CS department, and accept ONLY the top students who want to be in CS. In 5 years, you will go from no-name to “WOW, that school puts out great kids in CS!” in no time.

There are so many white/Asian kids who want to go into CS who are being turned down by ALL the other US universities. Too many applicants, and schools are looking for diversity. With the right advertising that properly messages that they are going to help create a sought-after program, that all of their peers will be as smart as they are, and maybe a bit of merit scholarships, these kids would make your program shine.

2 Likes

Universities are poaching from each other and persuading good CS undergraduates/ professionals to take PhD. Ask yourself, why bother with PhD when you can become billionaires like Larry, Sergei, Mark, etc. Give them a good solid reason why they should forgo a billionaire life for a mediocre lifestyle with ungrateful students.

1 Like

If you’re top tier CS person, why teach when you can make shit ton more money working at a company? :laughing:

Stop blaming kids for spending $100-$200k. I’m looking at You parents for failing to teach the kids fiscal responsibility.

2 Likes

Not just money, got to sleep with many top models and pretty women :grinning: Sergei :+1: Elon :+1:

1. Because you want to do research and there aren’t a lot of those positions out there.
  2. Flexible schedule with summers off
  3. You enjoy teaching.
  4. You moved away from Silicon Valley for your spouse’s job and this is a good opportunity.

DO THE MATH!!! Why not pay CS profs what they’d make in industry? If you’re going to load up 5 classes per semester with 100 kids paying $50K/each year, that’s $5M PER year. Can you not hire 5 CS teachers at $1M a year? Some of them will even teach 2 classes per semester. Where is that money going??? If you want to save your university, funnel it into a real salary for CS teachers.

1 Like

How many of you would work as a CS prof for $300K/yr plus benefits? No research necessary, you have to teach 2 classes per semester, and you get summers off. Like this post if you’d do it.

Like THE NEXT post if you wouldn’t.

1 Like

Like this post if … Heck no, I would never teach those nerdy top-1% students who really just want to learn as a CS Professor at $300K/yr plus benefits and summers off.

Uh, what’s CS again??? (J/K)

Yeah, yeah, we know that Custom Sewing is definitely the road to riches…

1 Like

All the money is going to administrators. At UW, every department has a finance director. It pays $160k a year with benefits and pension. They have a staff reporting to them too. That’s insane for such a small budget to manage. It’s not even 1 full-time position worth of work. They could probably use finance students to do the work with one employee overseeing 3-6 students. I’m thinking it’d be a nice retirement gig that’d take working ~10 hours a week. I’m not ready for that yet, but it’s ideal.

2 Likes

True, but we all know none of you guys can sew. :stuck_out_tongue:

URL:Hollywood Glamour Dress | ShopStyle

1 Like

Ahem :grinning:

Really? I’m impressed! Do you mend/hem or have you made things from scratch?

I did all those when I was young.

1 Like

Alright. We all know MOST of you guys can’t sew. But Hanera will be making the dresses for the next set of Emmy’s :slight_smile:

Buy stock in his company now!

1 Like

“Highly selective institutions saw the largest drop in freshmen enrollment, with a 5.6% decline compared to a 10.7% gain in fall 2021.”

Two things here. Highly selective institutions last year focussed on diversity, and often ignored the best and brightest kids who aren’t diverse. I know a “diverse” girl who got into something like 5 Ivy’s plus a couple of other schools going into STEM. She can only enroll in one. At the same time, white/Asian kids - even girls - from California who had much better academics were passed up by all of these schools.

These colleges are not in the business of educating kids, they’re in the business of creating future donors, interesting alumni, and keeping their USNews rankings up. If they shot themselves in the foot this year, I’m happy to sit back, watch it bleed, and poke at the wound.

2 Likes

Wow…

After what they did to the seniors last year including my son, I’m beyond pissed… So yeah…

I’ve been telling everyone with smart kids to apply to Canadian schools. Anyone with a perfect GPA should apply. There’s some drawbacks, but there’s also some good points - the vast majority of lectures at UWaterloo have an enrollment cap under 100. A couple are in the 120-135 range.

Look for yourself:

https://classes.uwaterloo.ca/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/infocour/salook.pl

Choose CS and leave the number blank.

How many does UCB shove into a room? 600? 1000? Why would anyone pay the out-of-state price for that???

1 Like