Asians Making Us Look Bad

I never saw a Malay Singaporean in US. Why?

Hey, we call ourselves Singaporeans. There are many Malays in US, I saw many in Sunnyvale, Milipitas and Mountain View. In fact, saw a very pretty and young lady in a Milipitas coffee shop.

Hong Kong is a single race city. But it seems that Singapore has less social conflict.

Is discrimination less common in Singapore? I heard that discrimination is rampant in Hong Kong based on the time of arrival and the residence location

Donā€™t put negative words in a great policy. The policy is only for HDBs. For private condos & landed, buy if you can afford to.

So the bad policy in US is that we allow too much private land ownership.

Everybody, rich or poor, different races, different jobs, all dress the same way and talk the same way. Want to discriminate also canā€™t. Having said that, recently, there is some backlash vs foreign talents who grab our middle management or professional jobs. We really donā€™t care about foreigners in lower or top.

Private land ownership is ok, but shouldnā€™t be freehold, worse can pass on all kind of benefits to your descendants. In Singapore, all new government land for sale are 99 years leasehold.

I saw some a video showing some SG Chinese badmouthing China chinese. Itā€™s not as calm as it looks on the surface. :smiling_imp:

This is pretty recent because of LHL letting so many Chinese from China to come over, worse easy path to citizenships. Few years ago, have slow down the acceptance, causing RE to slow down as developers didnā€™t expect this policy and overbuilt. I think more or less equilibrium again, some signs that RE prices are going up again.

This is something that Americans of Asian extraction who grew up here are uniquely positioned to understand. Age 11-14 is the time period of maximum neuroplasticity, and this is when kids need to, in sequential order

1 - feel like they belong
2 - once you feel like you belong, you can organically achieve
3 - once you organically achieve, you can be confident in your authenticity.

If in the ages of 11-14 you didnā€™t feel like you belong because you grew up in a self-segregating ethnic enclave (like chinatown) or because you were ina totally white-majority area of the country and always made to feel like the ā€œotherā€ (even though you are American born) then what happens is that you use your ethnic tribe as a ā€œsafe spaceā€and what reflects on that tribe reflects on you.

In order to dispense with this way of thinking, one needs to fully make a leap and reclaim the title of ā€œAmericanā€ as a 100% sense of self - that ethnic extraction is a feature of your personality but not the defining characteristic ā€¦ that you are 100% American, just as much as the stereotypical Marlboro Man.

Many who grew up outside of this country and immigrated here after the age of 11-14 already had a stronger sense of belonging and authenticity.

4 Likes

I was here in age 11-14.

I think weā€™ve already established the case that you are weird.

1 Like

Why canā€™t you say my adaptability is great or something along those lines instead of calling me weird all the time :unamused:

Your adaptibility is great. Now, there are, of course, various shades of grey to this line of thinking. If from the ages of 11-14 you grew up in Chinatown or you grew up in, for example, Harrisburg Pennsylvania, that sense of belonging in the USA that your psyche needs will not be strong.

On the other hand, if during that time you were in, say, San Mateo or Berkeley or some other place that had diverse enough (but not overly tilting to ethnic enclave) population to feel like you belong, then that works to your favor.

One Korean girl says that all the Korean girls are doing well here, but most of the Korean boys are doing weirdly. Hanera should be glad that she was not a boy, it could be much worse.

1 Like

Sorry you lost me there.

He canā€™t tell a Chinese from a Korean :slight_smile: May be same account shared by his wife. So some comments sound discordant.

How about ā€œunconventionalā€? :smile:

1 Like

Corrected typo. Hanera needs help on reading comprehension :rofl:

Different people behave differently. I just feel ā€œembarrassedā€ when my people (same skin tone, etc) do/commit some jacked up sheet. I am not saying I am right or not, but it is what it is. I am just maybe overly sensitive to the happenings in society and I would prefer that my people are not standing out negatively ALL THE TIME.

Honestly, since you asked, if I were African American, yes, I would be embarrassed. Practically every newscast there will be a story about a robbery, a killing, car jacking and it more than likely may involve an African American suspect. If that frequency increased, I honestly would not be upset if a cop pulls me over because I was in Presidio Terrace when I shouldnā€™t be. Just my opinionā€¦