Austin MSA vs SFBA and TX vs CA

Internet makes people fat. Obesity rates have soared since Al Gore invented it. So basically it’s all Gores fault. He got fat too. He used be thin and good looking.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:
Quoteworthy

I used to visit BJ’s restaurants. Most servers had the latest iphones, one I noticed had an Audi A3(no harm in owning one if one can actually afford it, but my guess is most probably leased & the server was 30 plus).

Folks making 300K a year wonder why people don’t come out and work for $13 an hour in the middle of a pandemic.

It’s good exercise too they say.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Are you 120 years old and went to grad school during the Spanish flu pandemic?

1 Like

Are you 120 years old that you don’t notice there is extended unemployment now? :grinning:

My point was about minimum wage that was mentioned before.

Yeah I noticed. And that’s a good thing. We progressed as a society and no longer insist on people working to death. Instead we have social security. We don’t let people drop dead like flies. We have Medicaid and Obamacare.

We are the richest country on earth. We can afford to let our citizens live a more dignified life.

If minimum wage rises to $50k/year (i.e. $25/hour/40hrs/week), prices will rise to negate it.

4 Likes

The 1968 Hong Kong Flu epidemic killed 4 million. A lot more than Covid19. The hysterical news media is the problem not the pandemic.

1 Like

Dignity comes from a good upbringing morals and sense of purpose. Giving away money doesn’t. Raising wages too high just means that people that actually have skills will have their value reduced. Besides higher wages just mean higher costs. Great for landlords

1 Like

People pay into Social security when working isn’t it? It encourages people to work to receive a token amount in retirement(which is insufficient to retire for most people)

Nobody will be happier than me if there is “free” healthcare. As long as most people understand there is a cost to it and it isn’t actually free.

Social security is the next generation of workers paying for current generation of retirees. For most Americans what they put into it is no way enough for the payments they will receive. Thus the nonstop stories on Fox News about SS about to run out of money.

I don’t think most people are confused about the free part in free healthcare. What people disagree on is how to divvy up the cost and who pays for what. Printing money also has costs, and you can argue it’s actually regressive. Increasing corporate tax to pre-2017 level is another way. But the bottomline is that other countries have been providing “free healthcare” for years and they haven’t collapsed yet. If American voters one day decide to do M4A it will be just fine. No need to panic.

1 Like

Just curious to know what’s the minimum avg annual salary across USA, people here agree upon as stable and not starvation. Is it $50K/ annum or $30K/annum?

I get “free” Medicare. Worked all my life payed into a system that lied to me.
Now they take $170/m out of my SS and I have pay another $130/m for Part B. Plus another $100/m for Part D.
Where’s the free shit. I pay $400/m for what is supposed to be free. Medicare go for all? What a joke.
Btw, until I was 55 my health insurance cost less than my “free” Medicare. Started at $25/m in 1976 for Kaiser. Healthcare costs need to be reduced.

It isn’t disagreement. It’s outright ignorance. What would all the supporters of “free” health care say if we eliminated nearly all tax deductions -including the mortgage deduction - and then added a 20% national sales tax to all the taxes we already have? Because that’s about what everyone else does.

The same people who raised taxes would will set up a commission to investigate why living costs are so high, like Newsom did when gas costs went up in CA after taxes in gas was raised by the Democrats themselves. It’ll be interesting how Democrats will spin it to their underlings if and when crude prices hit $100.

That’s because we subsidize corn in the name of “helping” which results in high fructose corn syrup in everything. It’s literally the cheapest ingredient. If you think about it, natural foods should be the cheapest. They require the least amount of processing. The reason they aren’t the cheapest if government intervention.

Min wage has NEVER been a living wage. It’s always been below the poverty line for supporting a family. It’s meant for people just entering the work force, and then people advance upward from there. As Seattle has proven, just raising minimum wage doesn’t work. Employers cut hours so take home pay is lower. Rent has literally increased the same percentage each year as the minimum wage. So they don’t actually get ahead at all from increasing it.

3 Likes

health care cannot be reduced when cost of education, liability insurance on doctors is at all time high. than there is that overpriced wages for Biotech industry located in coastal cities. remember we need to attract best and brightest all the time so wages and living standards need to be at world beating level.

Get a Medicare advantage plan. Since I got mine, I paid 36 dollars a year for prescriptions and I got everything else free, including MRIs. They also give me $40 a month for over the counter meds, $10 a month for “healthy foods” and they have given me $50 gift cards(Visa) twice for having free exams by a nurse practicioner at my home.

1 Like