Chicago: 11
Stanford: 11
Columbia: 9
USC: 13
Cornell: 7
MIT: 5
NYU: 19
Northwestern: 8

Didn’t mention how many of these kids are legacy admissions though. But just on paper it seems to beat even Nueva.

This is probably one of the hottest topic of college admission these days. Most of large universities are switching to direct admission for CS due to lack of CS faculties. However, there are schools who you can get admitted to certain group (like engineering school) and declare major later on. Note that those schools tend to accept small number of students to engineering school in the first place. Hence, most of them are private schools and competition is quite high.

Don’t want to get into the rich/middle debate, but what are parents plans to afford/pay for private colleges? I went to Columbia (grad, ~15 years ago) and every credit point was 1000$. The undergrad tuition at that time was 30k per year without boarding/lodging. So it must be at nose-bleed levels now.

I think cost of attendance is close to $80k per year for most of private schools.

Is there a master list somewhere tracking these things? I remember from a recent Stanford tour, the guide mentioned every student needs to take a CS class. So at least at Stanford CS is open to every kid? But alas, that’s the most difficult college to get into in the whole country… :cry:

How about some lower rank UC like Davis and Santa Cruz? Do they also lock down the CS classes?

There is a recent trend of hybrid majors CS+X. I heard it’s easier to get into than straight CS.

My initial thought is that if I can’t pay with my regular income, I can always sell some of my rentals, which will be mostly paid off by then.

But then I think it may not be a good idea to give kids a complete blank check and tell them to pursue their wildest dreams. Life choices have consequences. So my other idea is for them to take out a student loan and then I can help pay part of it, but they remain on the hook for a non-trivial portion.

Keeping kids invested in their future makes sense. :slight_smile:
I’ve seen some parents get their kids into 2 year community college and then transfer into UCB. This seems like a cheaper alternative - you still get the brand and UC ecosystem for the years that matter. Any opinions on what the quality of education in a community college is like?

1 Like

I don’t like this approach. It just turns the whole college experience into an exercise to get a diploma and nothing beyond. However, costs aside, I heard it’s an easier way to get into Berkeley. Not sure whether it’s still true or not.

1 Like

Not that i know of. You should check school by school at their website.

Here’s the list of schools where you can declare cs later on that i am aware of

1. Ivy schools + stanford
  2. MIT, caltech, harvey mudd (stem only schools)
  3. Cornell/usc engineering schools
  4. LAC schools (pomona, willams, wellesley): they have their own cs program

DeAnza college is full of Asian kids doing that.

Design Tech in RWS:

30 applied, 5 admitted. A respectable 16.7%. Here’s the list of where the class of 2018 were accepted:

It could be an interesting choice for certain types of kids. Some call it the ultimate startup incubator.

1 Like

Another idea: take out a HELOC loan. Put the sky high RE price of Bay Area to work!

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-i-let-my-parents-refinance-my-student-loans

Do they teach the things like Newtons law of Motion or Kirchhoff’s law or American History etc same in all school like De Anza and at Mission College and at Harvard and MIT?

You don;t have HELOC already?

Refi your HELOC and pull more money out! :rocket:

Cash out refi is almost too tempting. I’m never good at waiting for the right opportunity.

I like the flexibility of a HELOC along with margin in stock portfolio. It’s available if I need it in a hurry.

More tools in the toolbelt is never a bad idea but different strategies for different folks. Do what works for you.

Anyways, I’ll let you guys get back on topic.

Heard too many bad stories about this approach. Kids not making payments on time, patents pulling money from retirement saving, ruining parents-child relationship etc.

If you can afford to pay your kids tuition, then just pay it for them. I don’t think it would spoil your children. Student loan often discourages them to pursue their dream.
Otherwise, try to find affordable options (your kids may get merit scholarships from non-Ivy schools).

1 Like

Decision on spending money comes with two questions: (1) Do you like the product ? and (2) Do you like the money you have to part with to get that product?

Another thing that parent or the financier should be very clear is of what do they want to buy when sending a child to college. Do they want to buy knowledge, or do they want to buy an association with certain college and everything that it comes with, like student association, or alumni association. Has anyone collected data on how the students from good college pedigree fare in the later part of the life. A good college can make easier to get the first job, but not after that. Or is an association with specific college worth 80K per year. President Bust once suggested students that they should work hard if they want to go to Harvard, else try to be born to a rich daddy, for whom $80K per year is a pocket change.

At the end of the day lot of these decisions are like matter of eating food (drinking coffee) ? You can pay $15 to eat food. Food can also be had by paying $75. So, what is it that you are buying. Food or Experience. I think McDonalds really makes good coffee for $1 and never understood why some people pay $5 at Starbucks. (Just to be fair, my coffees are very basic : black no suger no cream)

I never buy starbucks either. Too pricey. However, my kids love $5 boba tea… :sob:

Seems like student loans these days charge around 5% interests? At that rate I may have my kids take out a loan and buy some NVDA with the money. :smile: