Berkeley market is hot

That’s the Zuck-lution, not applicable to regular folks like you and me. Well maybe just me, not you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Houston has no zoning. So I guess Berkeley wants to be like Houston? Berkeley has houses like this. What will happen to the charm of the Berkeley Hills. Looks like a Hobbit house

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mill-Valley/347-Melrose-Ave-94941/home/731935?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=earnedsocial&utm_campaign=1028053&fbclid=IwAR1otYEcCJeSPwIhwGlJHxPExjWn5zHhnGMhHpJDypH4rcwkDbBWzWGTQk8

Here the trend is - listing live Thursday, Fri-Sun showings (all get booked up/you may not even be able to see the house), offers due Tuesday, pending Wednesday…

3 Likes

In addition to abolishing single-family zoning, Berkeley city council also did this:

“Mayor Jesse Arreguin has advocated for the changes following a report by the non-profit Center for Policing Equity that found black people were six-and-a-half times more likely to be stopped while driving than white people.”

Maybe the correct solution is to tell the cops to stop more white folks rather than not stopping anyone?

2 Likes

Still safe to go to UCB?

right? I am not sure if I want my kids going there at this point, and I am liberal…(or I thought I was…)

Born and raised by Berkeley liberals. Made me a conservative. Or course the radical left purged the moderates like Stalin did to Trotskyists

Wasn’t aware Berkeley crime rate is already so bad.

With a crime rate of 65 per one thousand residents, Berkeley has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One’s chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 15. Within California, more than 99% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Berkeley.

1 Like

Berkeley thinks like Trump. He did not want testing. The numbers made him look bad. Berkeley thinks if crime isn’t punished, then the jails will have fewer minorities incarcerated.
Of course that just makes law abiding citizens prisoners in their own homes. Most victims of crime are the impoverished and minorities. Berkeley PC bullshit is actually racist.

Long time ago people told me the dividing line is MLK Way. Between MLK and the Bay things are rough. But above it, towards the hills, including the Cal campus, things are not bad. I guess it has been that way for decades now. Just stay away from the flats.

1 Like

Funny how that stark divides exists near Stanford as well between Palo Alto and EPA.

Rich areas need poor people nearby to provide services. Very common to have poor communities next to rich ones

Many fancy pants colleges are in the middle of slums: Yale, USC, U of Chicago etc. Berkeley is actually not too bad.

Berkeley wasn’t a slum till the hippies and radicals stole it in the sixties. In fact it the most desirable place to live in the Bay Area. Stanford was the Farm. Full of cheap tract homes

This Berkeley home has $9K property tax for $245K asses value. current market property tax will be minimum $60K. at 2%.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Berkeley/1-Atlas-Pl-94708/home/1800778

Sold. $1.332M.

3 Likes

Wow. I feel like unloading my fremont house with tax free gain.

3 Likes

#metoo :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pleasanton/2744-Sanderling-Way-94566/home/1807040

a couple more 3/2s have since sold for even more / ft2 (high 900s)

Good for Pleasanton! I always liked the Pleasanton, SR,Danville areas. With more WFH opportunities long term, Pleasanton and SR areas are getting more attention.