Buy the dip in the housing market in 2019

Buying a condo??? That’s like succumbing to be a concubine in order to be with a man! No, you want to be the head wife. No point in owning a condo in Cupertino if you couldn’t build your dream mansion there. :triumph:

He grew up in Cupertino and liked the place.
Why is it sense of entitlement?
Some people do not even want to live in Cupertino because of high ratio of Asian population.
He is aware of the mistake he made (not buying earlier) but everyone’s situation is different.
Not sure why people here try to judge and teach him instead of giving the opinion/answer on his real questions.

1 Like

Two of my friends, I suggested buying a condo/townhouse in Cupertino, between 2006 and 2010, when it was 620k and 450k when they were not eligible for higher loan. They missed the boat, but the Condos/Townhouse almost doubled.

Had they bought at that time, they can easily sell those now and get a nice SFH elsewhere with their tax free appreciation.

Condo/Townhouse in premium locations like CU, SV, MV, or San Mateo are better to grow their money to eventually land into some SFH long term.

1 Like

I guess you should follow up on the market you are interested in closely and take an action quickly when you sense that the market is heating up again (based on Days On the Market, number of inventories, and most recent sold price etc).
I don’t think anyone can predict BA real estate market in the short term. (In the long run, it will go up.)
There are many qualified potential buyers with limited inventories.
However, it is also true that price went up too fast in the past few years.
Who can predict the market under this situation?

You are right, when the head wife died there’s a chance for the concubine to climb up to that spot… :smile:

1 Like

Want and affordability are two different things. It’s useless to sugarcoat anything because the truth is, reality blows.

1 Like

We don’t even know his income and savings. He seems to be able to afford a house here but he tries to time the market. If you can afford Cupertino, just buy there. Otherwise, try Santa Clara, Campbell, Milpitas, and east bay or south SJ

BA apartment market
17000 new apartments could suppress rents.

As the nation continues to churn out new apartments, individual markets are seeing completion numbers fluctuate. As developers seek new opportunities, some markets are seeing scheduled supply volumes surge in 2019, and others are seeing dramatic decreases. Among the top 10 largest increases expected in major markets, five are in California.
All three Bay Area metro areas rank among the top 10 major markets for supply increases in the coming year. A chronically undersupplied region, the Bay Area has very few existing vacancies, and apartment demand during the current economic cycle has been focused on the submarkets that have received the largest amount of new apartment units. With each metro in the Bay Area being a high barrier‐to‐entry market, new supply has been concentrated in only a handful of submarkets.
In the coming year, Oakland is expected to see the nation’s most extreme supply increase. This market is scheduled to record the completion of about 6,800 units in 2019, a volume that is nearly seven times the number of apartments delivered in 2018. In fact, the new units on tap for this area are well beyond what is typical. The 2019 tally places Oakland in the same ballpark with neighboring San Jose and San Francisco, which generally log much bigger completion volumes than East Bay.
San Jose is also set to see a sizable increase in the coming year. After delivering a little over 2,500 units in 2018, the market is scheduled to gain nearly three times that amount – more than 6,300 units – in 2019. That number is above the 2015 peak, when about 4,400 units were delivered. The other Bay Area market, San Francisco,
should see supply volumes increase by 82.7%, going from about 2,200 units in 2018 to just over 4,000 units in 2019. While significant compared to the long‐term average, anticipated supply is not as heavy as the volumes seen in 2016, at a peak of about 5,000 units.
Together, the three Bay Area markets are expected to receive over 17,200 new apartments in 2019, a volume that ranks the region in the national top five for anticipated annual deliveries, alongside Dallas/

3 Likes

Those numbers are tiny compared to totally number of housing units.

Oakland may have an oversupply in 2019. 6800 units means a population increase of 5% in one year. But it’s so close to SF so it might not affect rent that much.

Where are the most new apartments in Oakland? It could gentrify the neighborhood

Harriet, you get riled up too easily.

Sorry bud, you can’t be forged from some place where you’ve never lived. Nice try.

Yeah I also see a slow down from now (Feb 2019) to say 2020. But I won’t time the market. If you hold on for the long term you should be good.

1 Like

Don’t know what you are talking about. I was as calm as the lake :thinking:

Damn. So much for that 5 story mansion… :rofl:

1 Like

With so many IPOs minted millionaires and life back in stock market, time to rip!

More Americans are house-rich, but they’re leaving that cash in the house

Many Singaporeans are house-rich, almost all private houses including some higher end HDBs are worth more than S$1M. For those owning HDBs, many have very low bank accounts. Luckily, daily items are cheap :grinning: and we always complain whenever public services increase prices, no money to pay for the increase since wealth are tied up in houses.

With change in FED policy, Powell averted possible correction. I am guessing home sales will pick up next year Jan onwards. Possibly, homes are low by Nov/Dec 2019.