California has the worst quality of life

You’re a tiny man. I left because couldn’t get a 10,000 sqft mansion on a 10 acres land. What I got is a small lot with a shack.

According to that old man in the video, in addition to retirees leaving the once sought-after retirement paradise with a great weather, young couples with little kids are also leaving :scream:

Makes sense for child bearing aged people to leave. Makes less sense for seniors. Old people should downsize and move to condos in downtowns.

He makes good points about people having less impact after they left SV.

You have conveniently ignore that he said they could have a better life :slight_smile: Have to wonder how many people live in this world is to have an impact :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What positive impact has SV had recently? Just look at FAANG:

1. It’s crowning achievement is super targeted ads to get people to buy more stuff they probably don’t need.

2. Quicker delivery of stuff that people probably don’t need.

3. Devices where people spend more time on the others.

4. Literally produces tons of fiction content which accounts for a majority of evening internet traffic.

5. Another way to sell ads for stuff people probably don’t need.

Wow. The impact is amazing. Imagine if all that brain and compute power was focused on curing disease, colonizing Mars, or other endeavors. Nope, it’s focused on helping people buy stuff and waste time watching stuff.

1 Like

Of course. Otherwise they would be crazy to move.

There is not a single place where everyone is happy. I would be miserable in Arkansas even if I could live in a 10k feet house.

If you are unhappy here in Bay Area or California, do yourself a favor and get the hell out.

Go join the peace corp and save the world then.

I remember seeing a survey subsistence farmers would rather have a smart phone than a toilet. If you think information is useless you are in the wrong business.

Information is useless without the ability to process it. Given survey results, most Americans can’t process it.

I am in Austin! Want to survey this city? Plenty of strippers :slight_smile: Not much Cantonese food :sob: Got a house for 1/8 the price of the shack in SV and pay less property tax and income tax too.

You live in Austin? Wow.

Just make your own food, taste better and you know what’s in it. Not hard at all. Get a wok station set up in the yard. Clearly we all have plenty of free time.

1 Like

Investors don’t need to be in SV to make money. For example,

Go up so fast that I am obliged to sell 25% of holdings even though I think it would go to $80-$100 before end of the year.

@manch has short memory, told him that I’ll be in Austin from mid Dec a few times and he seems to have forgotten.

1 Like

Any suggestions for a wok station?

1 Like

Nothing in particular. We got one from a Korean market or maybe it was Chinese. It’s a single burner that connects with a propane tank. It’s not fancy but gets the job done. It sits on top of a busted old cabinet. lol

But at least you get actual wok hei and avoid the grease buildup in the kitchen.

1 Like

I haven’t forgotten. Good that you have found a place that makes you happy.

I once thought about leaving for some lower tax states. But then it dawned on me what’s the point of having money if not to live wherever the heck I want? It seems ass backward for me to live in a place with good weather and good food when I was poor, but leave for a worse place when I have some money to my name.

2 Likes

Going to a lower tax state has been my plan all along. The problem with current California is the politics has become increasingly toxic, help me not to change my plan. Good food? Nowhere is better than Singapore, just take occasional trips back home, can eat whatever cuisine you like.

No need for exaggeration. It’s often hard to find the right candidate. Personally I’d rather wait for the right candidate and hire some contractors to fill the job in the mean time than hire the wrong person and have to terminate him/her later.

Years ago there was this guy who left a position after about 6 months. His office was full of project binders. When we went to pick up where he had left off we realized all the binders were empty - they just had nice labels on the outer spines. It was terrible but at the same time I had to admit a certain grudging admiration for the guy. If you’re going to fail, fail big. That was a ballsey thing to do.

1 Like

Not to mention - good food is subjective. Trying finding good retired white people food (formerly known as “Continental Cuisine”) in the BA.
I knew the former head of Stanford Hospital’s ER. Robert Norris. You might have seen him on “Venom ER.” He was an expert on snakebite treatment among other things. He retired back to Texas where he grew up. The food was one reason.

That’s racist. Most of those things have a Mexican behind them.

1 Like

Hiring is a complex process. If you are hiring someone to mop floors, you will haggle for price. If you are hiring a mid-level engineer. You will try to find a good candidate between a salary band. Price still matters. If you are hiring someone like chief architect, you will look for right candidate. Compensation will not be as much issue as finding someone who can do the job. It took 9 month to hire a director for the group I worked in. That was about 15 years ago. Some companies close mid level reqs if not hired within 3 months. Some keep the open for 6 months. The number of open reqs is almost always exaggerated – It is an open secret in the industry. Critical positions are generally hired through invitation, referrals, and word of mouth.

It is suggested to not believe in the news of infinite amount of open positions in bay area. Entire USA is going through the phase of higher degree of labor participation and low unemployment.

Termination: Some companies use rotating door model. They have lower hiring standards, but they let a bad candidate go after a year or so. Some companies do not hire until they are sure they want the candidate. Both model work ok. Rotating door model gives candidate a chance to prove itself in the job. The other model, everything is still a speculation about future contribution of the candidate based upon its past work.