Chloroquine and COVID-19

Michigan is also doing similar :slight_smile:

Good, you answer your own question. It directly affect RE. Now canā€™t do Open House and private showing. So canā€™t sell your house or rent out your house. One of my Austin rental will be on the market from end Mar, now canā€™t do showing because of shelter-in-place.

A few mins later: Americans love politics. Is not reasonable to expect them not to inject some political views into any topics/ threads. Just donā€™t get too worked up if people donā€™t agree with you.

1 Like

You need to stop listening to the trump informercial briefings. The studies on Chloroquine is mixed. A number of studies show they have no effect. The current treatment that everyone uses for covid is treating symptoms. You need ventilators to help people breathe. Donā€™t grasp at straws and be misled like trump

Are they restricting these drugs to prevent a run on them in case they are useful? Or are they restricting them to prevent consumer harm? Seems like the former.

So i read the article. the order passed by the Governor is based on the recommendation of the pharmacy group of Nevada and only prevents OTC use in a non-prescribed setting and allows for use in the hospital. So no banning like @pandeyathotmail suggests.

1 Like

The point is that all this is a political stunt by Nevada governor because the drug in question is not an OTC drug as far as far as I know. Or it was available OTC before this banning order?

This drug is essential to treat people who need it for specific diseases. If you donā€™t limit it, it will go the way of toilet paper as anyone that is misled and thinks itā€™s a holy grail cure will hoard it like toilet paper. The governerā€™s action is very correct. Limit it to people who need it (with a prescription), allow hospitals to use it as they see fit. This prevents hoarding and ensures those who need it can get it.

1 Like

It is still a political stunt because it was never available without prescription in the first place. So hoarding was never possible. What is the point you are trying to make?

https://healthclinics.superdrug.com/services/chloroquine/

Chloroquine and proguanil is available as an over the counter medicine from your pharmacy, so you donā€™t need to see a doctor for a prescription in order to be able to buy it.

I think this issue should be closed :slight_smile:

This is strange. So, something was good to be available as OTC until yesterday, and all of the sudden a governor decides it is not. Interesting, is it not?

Not OTC, you feel is political.
OTC, you also feel is political.

Anyhoo, Not a good move to prevent hoarding? A potentially useful drug?

I am willing to believe the chloroquine ban in Nevada is a genuine attempt to stop hoarding of the medicine.

1 Like

And hereā€™s the shortage. Thatā€™s why you donā€™t hype unproven drugs. Now people whoā€™s lives depend on them canā€™t get it.

1 Like

I am getting an impression that ā€œunproven medicineā€ is saving people and doctors are prescribing it.
Are people dying by taking this medicine. Should have FDA not approved it? What worries you?

Did you read? the medicine is essential for treatment of people with conditions that need it. the hype made people that dont need it hoard the medication impacting the lives of people that currently have those prescriptions and are unable to get it.

It is a choice the doctors and the patients have to make. Should the medicine be given first to corona virus patients how might be fighting for life, or those for other treatments that can wait.

Why do governors have to interfere into private decision between patients and the doctors. It is so unamerican and it is beyond me.

I am not sure if you are purposely mis understanding. The only example of a governor ā€œbanningā€ something that you showed was wrong. It was a purposeful mistatement of what was done. In that case, the governor was following the advice of the state (Nevada) medical bodies to limit the use to those with prescriptions and hospitals. Not any random person hoarding it because Trump said it was a cure. Of course right wing news and Fox news takes what is something a governor followed with advice from medical professionals to ensure those who need it (for corona virus or anything else), to be a ā€œbanā€. Anyway my last post on this, because it sounds like you really dont want to listen/learn and just want to repeat right wing talking points

Wait. I thought the medicine was toxic. Itā€™s supposedly so dangerous we shouldnā€™t use it for coronavirus. Those things it is used to treat must be pretty bad if a toxic treatment is the best option.

It is pretty toxic. It is recommended as a prophylactic for malaria. But many donā€™t tolerate it well.

Chemo is also toxic with horrible side effects. We still use it to treat cancer, since itā€™s the best option.