Climate Change

At least it’s dry heat. Texas and Florida are worse.

The number of extreme heat days is also growing. In the early 1900s, Phoenix averaged five days a year with temperatures of 110 degrees or higher, according to Erinanne Saffell, the state’s climatologist. In recent years, the city has sweltered through an average of 27 110-degree days a year.

Sounds like hell:

75 in Tahoe. 100 in Sacramento. Lots of tourists here for the Celebrity Golf tournament. Including CNBC.
My friends son got a $200 tip parking Aaron Rodgers car as a valet at Harrahs.

Maybe stop growing water intensive crops in the desert :desert:

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/12/heat-wave-warnings-millions-southeast-to-southwest

An expanding, intensifying heat waveprompted the National Weather Service to issue heat alerts for 115 million people on Friday in 15 states, with no letup in sight for some areas.

That’s 1/3 the US population.

Meanwhile in San Francisco:

Coldest winter ever was a summer in San Francisco… Mark Twain, roughly paraphrased…
109 tomorrow in Sacramento. Typical summer pattern. The valley heat sucks in the cold ocean breezes and fog into the Bay. Great sailing weather. 60 in SF 100 in Livermore. 80 in RWC
Typical summer

Best weather in the BA…

1 Like

Canada is still burning.

An unusually dry start to the year and a significant heat wave has led to more than 3,400 fires across Canada, according to a government dashboard.

Across the country, wildfires have destroyed nearly 22 million acres, which is about the size of Indiana.

Wildfires don’t “destroy” acreage; they regenerate it. At least they do if the fuel load is kept to natural levels.

Nothing like standing in front hot oil and stove all day!

So Not ready for the future natural gas ban

Chinese food won’t taste the same without the “wok hei”. I bet they won’t ban natural gas for commercial kitchens.

Most gas stoves for home use now have a cut-off that keeps them from working if the power goes out - negating a key reason for owning one. But I wouldn’t “bet” on any reasonable exemptions for business. Too much crazy going on to bet on reasonable anything.

Meanwhile - apparently “climate change” isn’t hurting Death Valley tourism. And note that even this week the temperature won’t exceed a record set in 1913.

Gas Stoves Are Barely a Blip in US Home Energy Consumption
Cooking accounted for only 2% of residential natural gas use in 2020.

4 Likes

The whole environmental movement is not about science but ideology. It is anti urban anti capitalist and anti American. These nut jobs tried to ram their ideology down our throats 50 years ago and just keep chipping away at our rights and way of life.
They are so naive that their anti nuclear energy stance actually created a lot of the CO2 they whine about.

Phoenix 117.
Vegas 112.
Dallas 107.

SF 62.

SF is always cool in the summer. Fortunately for those of us that like warmer weather it’s only an hour away.
Typical SF attitude from Quorum. Nostalgic and smug.
BTW. I don’t do cruises live in a subdivision or eat at Denny’s

“It was a beautiful, warm November morning in SF today. I put my two year old in his bike seat and rode to the playground at Dolores Park. While enjoying the gorgeous views of the city, I chatted with a few other parents, all educated, interesting people, some professionals, some artists. While we were there someone was training macaws to fly in formation; we all took in the gorgeous view of the colorful birds soaring over the park. On the way back, I stopped off at Tartine and picked up what might be the most delicious croissants in a two thousand mile radius.

I suppose I could live somewhere else and save some money; perhaps have a much larger house in a subdivision, eat at Denny’s and go on cruises. I’d probably have more disposable income, which I would probably spend on vacations, maybe to San Francisco.

But I don’t think about that much, perhaps because I am too busy being reminded of how fortunate I am to live in one of the truly great places on earth. Life is too short to spend it always worrying about your balance sheet.”

Emerald Bay at 8am. Paradise. Water temperature 64. Air temperature 65.

1 Like

In Phoenix touching the pavement may kill you.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1682367131885682688?s=46&t=e2DAkaxaGRhpAWcndjTw-g

2 Likes

I do miss the Desolation Wilderness. May try to get back there this fall for hike up Phipp’s Peak past all those amazing lakes.
Went low instead of high early this morning. I’m sure I posted stuff from the Mogollon Rim. This is just minutes south down Forest Service Road 708 which goes to Fossil Creek. Sort of stark but got its own vibe.

Vegans are gas bags so there’s that. The idea that they can change 10,000 years of the culture of Western Cuisine is as ludicrous as their arrogance. This too shall pass.