Cloud Kings

EVs need charging. Petrol doesn’t need to.

Better still, leave California, the sue State, you can get sued for almost anything.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha! That was 3 years before!

In New York, when my friend honked his car, that guy showed a gun to him and man handled him too.

What to do then ?

Another good week, ytd gain:
Cloud 54.1% :smile: +2.8%
Option 72.7% :laughing: +8.7% Overtook AAPL
AAPL 69.2% :grin: +3.4%
Index 25.1%:smiley: +1.2%

Workday Announces Fiscal 2020 Third Quarter Financial Results

Third Quarter Total Revenues of $938.1 million, Up 26.2% Year Over Year
Subscription Revenue of $798.5 million, Up 27.9% Year Over Year
Subscription Revenue Backlog of $7.19 billion, Up 21.8% Year Over Year

After cautious outlook,

2 Likes

Salesforce is down slightly after a good quarter.

A mixed week, ytd gain:
Cloud 52.3% :disappointed_relieved: -1.8% Big boys are selling, real deal or ok?
Option 74.7% :smiley: +2.0%
AAPL 71.4% :smiley: +2.2%
Index 25.3% :grinning: +0.2%

Is it good time go long on these?

Jim Cramer said big boys are dumping cloud stocks and rotate to more laggard stocks. He said should buy what you know. Anyhoo he recommends CRM, ADBE, WDAY and NOW. I got WDAY and not the other 3. He also recommends cybersecurity stocks like PANW, CRWD, OKTA and ZS. I have closed my PANW position, waiting for the dust to settle.

I also own SPLK and TWLO. Sold some SPLK and haven’t bought back yet, may be a little too greedy about the buying price. Rally of SPLK seem to have resumed, we’ll see.

You need to read up on clouds. Some are not good. Almost everyone of them have high growth but negative GAAP profit because of high stock compensation. I suspect many of them would not survive when recession come. So is a risky investment now. I have to remind myself that when the time come, run! run! run! Of course, CRM and ADBE would survive, they are well established.

1 Like

I’m not that negative on their survival. There are plenty that are cash flow positive which means they can survive (especially the ones with high gross margin). I’m riding with SHOP and TWLO. UI isn’t really a cloud stick, but it is tech. I want to add OKTA. DOCU is interesting. I wonder how much of their business is driven by mortgage activity. I haven’t fully researched them yet.

Cash flow can disappear in a flash. We don’t know how these companies perform in a recession since many are started after the Great Recession. So expect the worse, hope for the best.

It’s a lot less risky with subscription based businesses with contracts. Hardware and software upgrade purchases are easy to defer. Subscriptions you pay or you lose the software. Companies aren’t going to quit using mission critical software.

Even Microsoft is onboard now with office 365. Now they don’t have to depend on customer upgrade cycles. They just collect a fee per user each month. It’s a far steadier business model, since a company would have to quit using office to avoid paying.

My cloud portfolio is slaughtered while market rallies?

Another mixed week, ytd gain:

Option 77.3% :smiley: +2.6%
AAPL 74.2% :smiley: +2.8%
Cloud 50.9% :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: -1.4% Continued to be slaughtered
Index 26.3% :grinning: +1.0%

Another good week, ytd gain:

Option 90.0% :joy: +12.7%
AAPL 77.0% :smiley: +2.8%
Cloud 53.4% :smiley:+2.5%
Index 28.3% :smiley: +2.0%

1 Like

Easy money :smiley:

how do you read the above?

An outstanding week, ytd gain:

Option 88.7% :neutral_face: -0.3%
AAPL 83.5% :laughing: +6.5% The one that matters
Cloud 55.0% :smiley:+1.6%
Index 29.1% :grinning: +0.7%

1 Like

For year 2019,

Option 87.3% :joy: Barely ahead of AAPL
AAPL 86.0% :laughing:
Cloud 51.1% :smile:
Index 28.7% :grinning:

Wish myself another good year for 2020 :rofl:

1 Like

Please explain how to read your posts. Are the above numbers your yearly gains, or share of your portfolio?

Should be Returns for 1 year ending 12/31/19