Costco is cheaper than Amazon

Open with Robinhood , all trades commission free!

You can trade through smart phone only!

I own one share of almost 45 to 50 companies , just to have watch list!

1 Like

I bought AMZN ! However, 3-5% drop is not major or very attractive drop.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, @Jil!!! Boy, that is one darn expensive stock…

Thanks for the tip. But any signs they’re just going to sell out to a larger fish? Last time I signed up with a small fish, they got eaten up by someone with quarterly non-activity fees…

Apparently Scottrade is being acquired by Ameritrade. Thoughts?

Yeah. It’s not a drop at all.

My observation was that March-April was when Amazon did its worst drops. Perhaps I was just more in tune to that because beginning of March was when the next stock grant would be assigned, and it always seemed to drop right after that!

Robinhood is a Palo Alto startup that has more than 1 million users, mainly students joined. They received appx 68 million funding from google venture and has been running two years so far.

Soon they may go IPO, that is the catch

One negative : Trading can not be done by computer or laptop, but only through smart phones like iPhone or android phones.

This is widely used trading app!

Another revenue source???

1 Like

@Jil,

So, what do you anticipate happening come Monday morning? Investors calm down and and go long on Amazon or continue hammering it down???

(Opinion solicited only, not going to hold you to it…)

Anything can happen, negative or positive. It is too difficult to predict the short term.

If short outlook is important, definitely not advisable to buy.

It may take more than thanksgiving and xmas season to bring back

1 Like

@Jil

I would buy and hold for the long term. One would think they would split the stock at some point too right?

I was just wondering if you thought the bottom has reached yet or do you anticipate it falling more next week?

Let’s be honest, at this high price per share I wouldn’t be buying that much of it anyway.

I do not know what will happen next week. We have to watch. No one can say that as this is pure speculation.

I bought at 785 first and then 778 second time. If it further goes down, I do not have money to buy, just watch it!

All I know is that it will go up long term.

Yes , 5% is not major drop , but good drop.

They are actively hiring people to build web based application. I guess they know what market share they want next.

1 Like

Pay is not that great: “About $100,000-$135,000, base”, maybe they get 100s of thousands in AMZN stocks?

Amazon’s price to book ratio is at 20.73. That’s way higher than I expected. I thought with its expensive data centers and fulfillment centers Amazon would be very book-heavy. I need to read more to see why their price-to-book is so high.

In contrast, AAPL’s price-to-book is 4.73 and FB’s is 7.46. GOOG’s is even lower than AAPL at 4.06.

Glassdoor numbers tend to be below market if the market is increasing rapidly. Also, those are Seattle numbers. Pay in Bay Area at AMZN should be 20-30% above Seattle equivalent.

I heard Amazon is heavy on stock comp and light on base pay? Is that true?

This is generally true for the top tech companies. For people whose total comp ~$300k, base pay will be ~$175k. The one notable thing about AMZN is that they vest extremely slowly the first two years (ie, 5% of initial grant at one year, 15% at two years, and then 20% vests every 6 months after that)

1 Like

AMZN didn’t pay more stocks to compensate for their slow vesting?

May differ between Amazon itself and subsidiary, but I would say not light on base pay–stock comp 30-40% or so.

Are you with Amazon itself or a subsidiary?