Defeat Prop 10: Strict Rent Control, Housing Freeze, Economy Freeze and Frozen Tech

Nowadays common sense is the highest wisdom because common sense is becoming rare and common sense is being constantly attacked.

In a normal midterm election something like Prop 10 would fail easily. But because of Trump the turnout from the left would be HUGE this year. The newer gen D’s also moved to the left.

1 Like

I think you should write a blurb and have them post it on the site. There are very logical arguments for how rent control leads to more middle/upper class people owning those homes and lower income being kicked out, but the site doesn’t seem to make those arguments.

Yeah. With Prop 10, apartment will become slums and tenants will have no chance to live in single family and condo communities.

The most scary fact is that the apartment slums would be no vacancy and new people can only live in hotels.

With rent control on sfhs landlords won’t be able sell except with rare vacancies. May drive up the price of sfhs.

2 Likes

You can sell a tenant occupied SFH to a buyer who has no other house. Then the buyer can do an owner move in eviction.

Rent control on SFH and condos is basically a way to reduce rental inventory by forcing out SFH and condos to owner occupants.

Huge troubles for multi family owners. Who do you do with a 100 unit apartment?

CAA members must be scared to death by the permanent rent control now.

1 Like

I am still holding out hope that this country will not totally go to crap with total rent control. It is simply wrong to hold an owner to a rent rate once vacancy has been established. There is no contract, so one ought to have the right to price accordingly. Why the freaking Supreme Court can’t go along with that kind of common sense reasoning is really beyond me…

1 Like

Yeah, Supreme Court should stop the stupid Weinstein and the absurd Prop 10

Well, my thinking is that if the game totally went to the other side (total rent control, owners have no rights practically, etc) that the Supreme Court will come to the rescue. At some point, some common sense and fairness has to be doled out right?

Probably not. Strict rent control existed in NYC, SF and Berkeley before. NYC had it for long time
and it driven neighborhood to 4th world slums. SF was also on the brink of slumization, but Costa Hawkins came quickly and made SF thriving again. Without Costa Hawkins, SF would be full of dangerous slums by now.

The impact would be worst in apartment rich places. SF, Oakland could turn into slums again and many small good cities may have a law to forbid rent control on their city if it’s still allowed.

But that is what I am saying, complete total rent control in all 50 states. Pockets of it, ain’t gonna get the cavalry fired up and ready to go…

1 Like

Rent control will only happen in a few blue states. Most states have no need for rent control due to their reasonable zoning and building code. Only a very small part of the country will have a rent control problem. Red state republicans won’t care about it

Ah, but if you scan the WWW, you will find stories about any city in the US of A that is considering some form of rent stabilization or control. It is the lazy man’s way of “fixing” the problem.

Imagine if the CDC or NIH came out with some declaration about something being bad for you. Wouldn’t people immediately follow suit? How is it that when a majority of economists worldwide say that rent control is actually bad for the housing market, no one listens???

1 Like

Let’s make a national law to ban rent control.
Is there any legal issues?

You are proposing a “Federal Landlord Amendment”. Just the sound of it implies it is too good to be true :drooling_face:

1 Like

Again, one would think smart people like the Supreme Court justices would be able to weigh in and weigh in correctly. How hard is it to rule that a rightful, legal owner of a house has a right to price it out for rent as much or as little as he/she wants outside of any contractual obligation?

Can it be an executive order? Constitution amendment is very hard

The supremes can’t wade in because there’s no lawsuits for them to wade in. Do one for the team and avail yourself to one. We need some brave soul who is not afraid of the poop throwing lynch mob.

2 Likes

Me no own multi units anymore …

3 Likes

I think people will show up to vote for government. Why would people be excited about mid-terms in CA? The choices are literally between different democrats for everything in the bay area.