Drought is over

Just another reason to build more and bigger dams. Climate scientists have no credibility. They only create problems not solutions. If anything like a great snow year doesn’t match their theory they come with more shit. We have known about the lack of water storage and the possibility of dry years for 60 years. I don’t want to hear more crap from environmental wackos. Built more dams or shut up. Meanwhile Folsom routinely dumps three times its capacity even in dry years. Probably double the dumping this year.
Personally I prefer skiing at Sierra now … great bowl skiing like Squaw valley…

For the drought promoting political hacks. 500 “ at Palisades. Come get all the water you want. Bring a shovel and a truck. My 80 year old neighbor will give you all you want… lol

1 Like

See, the fat lady is clearing her throat but it is not a done deal yet…

Bullshit. I just had dinner with a very influential person on the State water bd and on the Board of STUPD and the TKPOA bd President The drought is political… pure and simple.
Here is a warning tonight. Come up to snow country and see for yourself. Snowmageddon. We have plenty of water for people and cities. We don’t need more water for farmers just to export almonds and pistachios. You can buy grapes off season from Chile for less than California grapes in high season. Agriculture is done in a California due to high labor costs. And 80% of our water goes to agriculture.
They can sell their land to developers.
We are getting another 4-6’ of snow in the next week.

This part is the biggest lie. The 1200 Year thing is without any proof. The 70s was worst than now. And the worst drought was in 1991-2.
Since 2000 we have had 3 mega storm years. 2011, 2017 and now
We just need enough storage to hold 6 years of capacity to allow for rainfall fluctuations.

“The continuing drought is part of what scientists have called a “megadrought.” Studies have shown that the period since 2000 has been the driest in the West in at least 1,200 years, a plight that makes it difficult for a single wet year to improve. “

We have surpassed 2017 and 1982 with 500”. Some are predicting another 200” till July. Maybe the Sacramento floods will occur like in 1862 and wash out all the drought protagonists.
Looks like 1952 is the next milestone. This could be the biggest winter snow pack in history.

1 Like

I truly hope so. I just don’t want a similar letdown like last year where we had a great start too and then the water valves were shut off…

The snowpack won’t be entirely wasted if there’s early melt-off. 60K of it can be captured to fill the Hetch-hetchy.

1 Like

We are on track to have the highest amount of runoff in history. #23 of all time at 44’ at the official measurement station at Snow Summit near Donner Summit.
But our season is only 2/3 in the books. 68’ here we come.
Note 23 record big winters in 150 years. Once every 7 years. We have had 3 in the last 12 years… 1200 year mega drought?… my ass.

Unfortunately the bureaucracy will waste 90% of it.

2 Likes
1 Like

Overgrowth of trees and other vegetation due to mismanagement of wildlands is a major contributor to low ground water. Water that should recharge aquifers gets transpired off instead. CA needs logging, controlled burns and maybe mastication to reduce bioload both for fire protection and water protection.

3 Likes

Clear cutting worked for 100 years. When the Berkeley forestry department changed the rules we ended up with 50 years of no management or mismanaged forests. All this created the mess we have today, the cause of forest fire catastrophes… . not global warming… bring back clear cutting. If we don’t, the out of control fires will achieve the same result and contribute greatly to our carbon footprint

1 Like

Clear cut and build houses with it to lock up that carbon for 100 years!

Official snow level at Donner. Plus climate data since 1879. Proving conclusively that our current “drought” isn’t a trend and that rainfall fluctuates wildly like it has in the only 150 years that we actually measured snow and rainfall.

https://cssl.berkeley.edu/

We are now at 48’ biggest year since 2011

Below is the horseshit peddled as scientific proof of our mythical 1200 year drought. Implies that we have been in the worst drought in 1200 years. Of course the fake news has run with it and made it even more horrific than these pseudo scientists say.
In other words a weak scientific treatise was published without peer review or proof and is now codified in CA water policy…since when is paleo climatology a science?

In fact these scientists freely admitted they don’t know what the future climate will be.
“The convergence of prolonged warming and arid conditions suggests the mid-12th century may serve as a conservative analogue for severe droughts that might occur in the future.”

May or may not? Flip a coin… and then base our whole water policy on a half baked theory… and worst don’t even propose a solution… like build more dams.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0911197107

3 Likes

Lakes are full now. Kept low for flood control. Oroville is already releasing water… planning on too much snow melt.

From a 1200 year drought to extreme flooding in one year…
maybe just maybe we need a new management philosophy

Several feet coming up top in the week. Mainly rain at lake level. Could put this year at number 2 since 1950…

2 Likes

My father was a physicist and thought that the sun’s cycles for sunspots and radiation might be one of the things affecting the weather. I never knew if this was speculation or something he based on his Physics knowledge, but it’s an interesting theory.

I wonder also if the moon’s orbits have any long cycles (like 25 years). Given that the gravitational pull creates tides, I’ve no doubt it could affect the weather.

Drought?

1 Like

Hold on, the latest/last thing I am hearing or seeing on the news is that our groundwater levels are not back up to par yet. One more month!!!

1 Like

Everything you hear from the news is slanted. Of course they don’t want you to have the freedom to take long showers or water your lawn. BA water comes from Hetch Hetchy… not groundwater.
Farmers use groundwater not most municipalities