Even Trump says the anti abortion SCOTUS will hurt Republican s

There will be no federal ban. The decision itself goes against that if people would actually read it. There was no federal ban before Roe v Wade.

1 Like

I don’t care about abortion. Not an issuefor me. But 60% of Americans support a woman’s right to chose. Six dinosaurs decided that’s not true and that reactionary state governments can take away any woman’s rights.
What I worry about is the break down of civil society caused by tone deaf judges. Just like invading Ukraine will eventually destroy Russia, zealots on the right and left will destroy America.

Amazing that only white Evangelicals actually are in a majority on anti abortion. Everyone else is for it. So much for democracy.

It’s actually consistent with the 10th amendment. ‘We’ve been trampling states’ rights for a long-time, so maybe now we can get back to the constitution. If 60% of people support it, then they can vote for it in state level elections. People should be HAPPIER if more things were decided by the states instead of the federal government. It would solve a lot of the issues of political divide at the national level.

1 Like

States rights are an outmoded concept. The notion caused the civil war. I don’t see any benefits in a modern highly connected world. Time to eliminate states period. We need National elections on important issues like abortion. No electoral college. Go with a parliamentary system. Our current system elects Presidents that loose the National popular vote. Plus our system is set up so nothing gets done, except partisan bickering

Do you really think the federal government can have polices that work in NYC and rural Kansas? Much of the political friction is because national policies don’t work for everyone. It’s so bad we’ve reached a situation where everyone is unhappy with congress yet they’ll give their own rep a strong approval.

Even now, a state can only ban abortion if it’s what the citizens want. If citizens were strongly opposed, then they’d vote for people who’d overturn the ban.

1 Like

I remember when states had the ultimate rights. I was in the South in the early sixties. It was a backwater, scary and dangerous. The Federal government forced them to join the modern world. Texas wants to be its own country. Everyone hates California. Get rid of allthese state governments. They are useless appendages for colonial times. Put all local power at the county level. Think of all the money saved eliminating an unnecessary level of government.

How exactly would they know? Even if people disapprove they have to wait for years to remove the state representative.

TX survey from last yr shows most disapprove but they have to wait until next election and till then women has to go through trauma?

I bet Texas goes Democratic this November. Yankees have been invading for years. Large minority population. Californication is coming to Texas.

The supreme court just ruled in favor of school prayer. Trying to turn the clock back 50 years

A recipe for another civil war.

Nobody has to pray if they don’t want to. And now they have a right to pray if they do.
And it’s just as likely that anti-abortion laws will keep liberals out of Texas and AZ as it is that they will turn those states bluer.
Of the 61% who favor abortion how many already live in blue states which will be unaffected?
Finally, it should be said the interpreting the Constitution has nothing whatever to do with popular opinion. This is why SC justices are appointed for life. Not an accident; intentional.

1 Like

As far as Texas. You underestimate the power of Texan women .
Nobody tells a Texan woman what to do. Especially a wimpy Governor in a wheelchair.

A coach required his students to pray. As far as abortion, if you don’t like it, don’t have one, but don’t force your religious dogma on some one else. Prayers have not been allowed in public schools for over 50 years. Gun law in NYC overturned was 100 years old. Not only is American democracy at stake so is our world prestige.not many countries in the world allow for abortion bans.

The only six countries that outlaw abortions under any circumstances are Chile, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Vatican City and Malta, according to Pew. All Catholic… religious dogma tramples womens rights

2 Likes

Most European countries have far stricter abortion laws than the US. Here’s just one example.

1 Like

Oh and I’m not sure where your insights into Texas women come from but I’ve been shooting the breeze with some locals here in AZ and the attitudes toward abortion are the reverse of what the left describes. Women see a 12 week old fetus and go “OMG, a little person.” Men look at the same thing and see a child support payment.
Regardless, few folk here would vote to give up gun rights, property rights and have to explain to their little boy what the teacher meant when she said he could be a little girl - or why he should feel guilty for being white - in exchange for avoiding the minor inconvenience of an abortion in a neighboring state in the rare instance that comes up.

1 Like

I think most European countries is wrong info. Even if hypothetically whole Europe mandates strict abortion law, their sex education, child care support are much better than US. Forced pregnancy babies will lead a better life there than in USA. Wrong comparison.

https://archive.attn.com/stories/7020/sex-education-europe-compared-to-united-states

Since Trudeau injected himself into this it’s also worth pointing out that Canada has the same system the Supreme Court just decided we should have. It’s left up to individual provinces. Several won’t do it after 12 weeks.

I thought it’s about women’s health. Now it’s about poverty? Birth control is readily available for free. Those same clinics that perform abortions give out free birth control.

According to the article the difference isn’t that great anyway - 1 in 4 in trigger law states versus 1 in 5 in others. And if that poverty line isn’t adjusted for costs of living the difference vanishes.
In any event, since most trigger law states border one or more states where abortion will still be legal maybe Biden could work on increasing the gas supply so those poor folk can afford the drive if they want an abortion. The gas could well cost more than the abortion.

There’s no proper education and birth pill in reality is 91% effective due to human errors.