Everything About Rent Control

Keep striking out at the courts.

When is our far right Supreme Court going support landlords?
We fought against the British basically for property rights …
Yet all the Supreme Court cares about is praying in school, the unborn and gun rights.

5 Likes

NEVER, because all of them have ridiculously low rent controlled apartments themselves!!!

At least they support CCW, if supreme court ever heard a property rights case the current makeup should rule in favor of LL’s

Really? You’d think a bunch of lawyers would have some nice properties…

Yes, of course they do. But why else or what other reason could it be to explain how they have staunchly held onto the legality of rent control all these years? Down to the basics, aren’t you making one of the parties to the contract, the lessor, continue a contract against his/her will even though the contract which both parties entered into willingly has an express termination date? What other industry would allow this injustice? Imagine that happening in pro sports. No, sorry Steph Curry, you will have to stay on that rookie contract indefinitely despite it ending technically…

1 Like

We haven’t had a rental case with the new court. I know about several lawsuits brought about rent control in CA. Will take a while to get to the Supreme Court. It seems ridiculous that the court can overturn a 100 year old gun control law in NYC and not look at how rent control has negatively affected the City and the rest of the country. Rent control is a short term solution for a long term problem. It only benefited existing tenants at the time, to the detriment of all future tenants . Not to mention the down grade in the quaiity of life.

2 Likes

And, the majority of economists agree that rent control is bad. So, you even have the “experts” chiming in. What more do you need? Yet, crickets…

Um, so the state has time to put illegals on Medicaid, but they can’t review applications for the covid rent relief? WTF is going on there? I love how the articles are all slanted to generate sympathy for renters. What about the landlords who aren’t being paid? It’s also amazing that people can still apply this year. We’re how long post vaccines being free and available everywhere? There’s how many more open jobs than unemployed people?

2 Likes

Have been for a long time. And, it works. Just ask the average Joe and they’ll tell you how it’s great to have to protect these “poor” people from the “greedy landlords”.

And, they extrapolate that attitude to all sorts of human “needs” they see. They’ve been calling them “human rights” now. Everything is a “human right” and should be provided by government. Gratis.

They’ll tell you, if we could only get “the rich” to pay “their fair share” , this would all work out.

I’ve never seen propaganda work so well in my lifetime. I blame the dumbing down of the proletariat so that they accept this crap at face value. I blame public education for this.

1 Like

I am evicting a tenant on Tuesday. 3 day notice. Then the 3 month landlord nightmare. This guy got free rent from the state last year. Maybe the eviction will force him to find more freebies. Some people are just to lazy to look for them. He has two cars and a Harley. Just needs to sell one for a years rent.

1/2 out of 2/3/4 tenant not paying is terrible but 1/2 out of 20/30/40 tenants is just the cost of doing business in California, and NYC, etc.

Scale up or get out. Still worth it to me but others might not want to deal with it.
:man_shrugging:t3:

Or invest elsewhere. The US of A :us: is a big old place. Can make money anywhere and everywhere.

Prioritization and instant gratification. So called “poor people” are frequently very bad at it. They dig their own holes but just can’t see it.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter. They beat you in number.

Uh, we are going the wrong way…

Hello, Trump’s stacked Supreme Court??? Time to make up for making 10 year olds travel across state lines to get an abortion…

Finally got rid of my dead beat tenant. 4 days late. Even though he had weeks to move. Major hoarder. Plus had extra cars and roommates. Had a drug problem and basically poor mental hygiene and depression. Left a bunch of junk, 5 dying pot plants… so messed up, couldn’t even take of even them.
I gave him $1000 cash just to get out. Faster and more effective than eviction. Owed two months rent that I never would have collected… even with a judgment

1 Like

For $1k to get your unit back, it was a good deal. Your lost 2 month rent is sunken cost no matter what happens.

But then he might become homeless, then you were the bad guy to put him on the street. Landlord’s evil nature is validated yet again.

I have backlog of prospects. Showed it today. First tenants want it. Even though left in poor condition. Tons of hole to fill and some bad renovations done.