Everything About Rent Control

Hmmm, you have way more experience than I do but this is not exactly a vote of confidence about this prospect tenant if that was what you meant…

My point is tenants are desperate. We will fix ii up. Patch. Paint. Some new light fixtures. New blinds Deep cleaning. Fix leaking sink. That was installed by the tenant without my permission. Two days of work … fortunately the plank vinyl floors look brand new even tho flooded in the kitchen. I am going with vinyl only from now on.

But even tho their lease isn’t up till October, they are willing to pay on two places to guarantee they won’t be homeless October 1. $1800 is 10% under market for a 2bd in South Lake Tahoe. But it is only 600sf. There are 800sf units going for $2500. We are showing again today to make sure … in case the first tenants bail out. This unit rented for $900 when I purchased in 2016. Rents have doubled and expenses are only up 10%. The value of the building has tripled.

Nice… Since my focus was a tenant who would really take care of my former Sunset primary, I gave the main floor home (2 bd/2 ba + garage) for $2800. One single gal and boy, pretty easy on the eyes…

How I am going to sell the house next year if I want the 500K capital gain exclusion still with her in it still beats me. Buying her out ain’t gonna be 1K I tell you that much…

I have another tenant I wantto buy out. Paying $7k less per year than market. Maybe cost me $30k in below market rent in 6 years. I should have bought her out then. Now it would cost me a lot more the $1k.

The Rent Revolution Is Coming

For the 44 million households who rent a home or apartment in the U.S., inflation keeps pushing costs higher and higher. Anger is rising too. It could be a breaking point.

Bay Area sees ‘eviction tsunami’ as pandemic renter protections end

Eviction court filings in the core Bay have more than doubled since last year

1 Like

This is good for landlords. They can finally boot non-paying tenants and replace them.

1 Like

As Housing Prices Surge, Rent Control Is Back on the Ballot (usnews.com)

Lol at people wanting the government to fix the problem that the government created with expensive housing. Now landlords are squarely in the crosshairs as people who need attacked.

1 Like

Typical government horseshit that actually will make the situation worse. The more regulations rules and restrictions just make housing more expensive and unaffordable. The obvious solution is to encourage more housing. But for 50 years governments have made housing restrictions to limit more housing… hypothetical idiots

2 Likes

Today, one almost never sees or hears the term “landlord” without the pejorative adjective “greedy” in front of it.

It says a lot about societal attitudes towards rental ownership.

We have all these “isms” we’re supposed to be ridding ourselves of. But hatred of economic investment or success is considered allowable.

It’s very telling of the future IMHO.

2 Likes

Full Disclosure: Problems in proposed national rent control (mtdemocrat.com)

https://archive.is/3pxWl

Eviction moratoriums being challenged in Alameda, Oakland.
It’s ridiculous that the state’s funds ran out last year but the moratorium is still continuing for much longer.

2 Likes

If you don’t agree, please Lobby your State Senator.

Don’t be lazy, it’s the least you can do

SF assemblyman’s bill would cap renters’ security deposits (sfgate.com)

The new proposal would limit security deposits for all rental properties to no more than one month’s rent.

The bill, AB 12, easily passed the Assembly in May, and the state Senate is now considering it.

Edit:
No engagement?
@manch @sfdragonboy @maluka @druid @hanera @Elt1

Who else owns rental property in CA?

2 Likes