Everything Prefab

Hopefully these aren’t like IKEA furniture…

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/01/the-rise-of-the-prefab-prison/549692/

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

How about speeding up the approval process…These prefabs could all be preaproved…No planning or building plan checks needed…Pull plans from the drawer and start building…could save 1-2 years.
My friend has spent 15 years trying to get 24 houses approved in San Carlos…they will only allow 5…That is where the real problem is…construction technique is a minor issue.

The article brought up the real issue…unions
SF is about the last place left that uses unions for residential construction…they don’t want to lose jobs to Mare Island, let alone China or the Philippines

Great idea, London, unfortunately you’re out…

Here is a builder that calls itself a technology company not just a builder. Smart marketing. Let’s see if they are not just hot air like Tesla

https://katerra.com/en/how-we-do-it/our-factories.html

SJ has already approved tiny homes for them. Now SF will learn the real debate is about to begin. Where does it go? People support the idea of helping the homeless, but no one wants it in their yard.

Well, the city of Oakland took it upon themselves, got those Tuff Sheds and moved the homeless into them which I guess are on city owned property.

Construction cost increased tremendously from 60s. In mid 60s, I see permits showing new houses were built with 30-40k. But in late 90s, even a reroofing costs 15k. So on 30 years, a reroofing costs 50% of the house 30 years ago.

Wondering when we would see such dramatic inflation again

Go to the Midwest, can get used double wide trailers used for less than $10k. Set up in the BA…

1 Like

There has been dramatic inflation in housing construction costs in the BA in 30 years. In 1987 we could build a 1000sf addiction in PA for $100k, now $600k
New construction hard cost $80/SF now $250/sf

Construction cost inflation is much higher than CPI. No overseas labor savings and most materials are produced domestically… Constant restricting regulations, demands from unions and tenants rights groups…like for BMRs

1 Like

Ok, here we come Bay Area!!!

1 Like

Makes sense. Key is to use the same design over and over. Should use barges to move them, it was a shipyard.
Cities should allow more bayfront development…Barge them right to the site…Hayward and San Leandro have Miles of bayfront, same in RWC

Come on @Elt1, I was pushing this prefab onto you from Day 1. Isn’t this a perfect biz opportunity for you to get in on with your experience and bankroll? Bay Area needs housing and this could be the way to provide it reasonably cheaply.

Problem is still regulations and nimbyies not building technology… I will not return to the BA, if I leave Tahoe when my ski career is over, I am moving South. San Diego is looking good.
My flipping buddy who was on flip it to win it, is visiting.
Not busy these days… can’t find in fixers in SJ. Even he is ready to move. His son has already moved to San Diego, makes custom knives, can do that anywhere, sell them on the internet…