Everything Prefab

The prefab revolution needs to get rid of government red tape

1 Like

how much does a prefab cost vs non-prefab?

Well, my understanding is that we used to have prefab way back when (one could order your home via Montgomery Wards or I guess Sears). What we are referring to as prefab now, is still in its infancy at least here in the states but I am thinking it is bound to become more commonplace due to high labor costs and we aren’t teaching lil Johnny to pick up a hammer as much as we would like. Yes, the knock on prefab is still the high cost relative to old school construction but I would like to think the gap is closing. Not sure if you have seen it or read about it but there is a skyscraper in NY that is entirely modular. Yes, it was the first so many issues and def ran over budget but you have to start somewhere. I am thinking inroads will be made perhaps with smaller free standing ADUs or inlaw units first, where the cost may be under $100K and then as people warm up to them we may see bigger projects.

Here is an old post in which this woman in SV if I remember correctly built this home that is actually prefab (uner The Ikeaization In Home Building thread):

I always cite this example of my favorite prefab (it’s in Burlingame, if I recall…)

The modern/contemporary look i don’t like as much, but first image resembles a colonial.
I am very curious about the costs.

Here is the old story… she says she paid $250/sq ft at the time…

Sears and Wards used to sell pre-fab homes in their catalogs but they were actually cabins for putting out in the country. They probably did not meet building codes, but they were cheap. I seem to remember prices about 10k.

1 Like

Yes, @Elt1 fondly reminded me that prefab was not tech a new thing…

250K for this in 2007 sounds way too expensive.

I hear 300-325$/sqft these days for new construction.
@Elt1 please correct me.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/mar/06/spokane-modular-home-business-that-wants-to-ship-t/

It is not about the type of construction it is about political will. In 1906 they built 5300 shacks and many more tents in a few months. We have modern versions called mobile homes, or trailers. The 1906 earthquake shacks cost $50. Probably $5000 in today’s money.
Single wide trailers can be built for $50k.
All these could be prefabricated and delivered in a few months and solve the homeless problem. We are currently spending $40k per year on each of the homeless. These shacks could each house 4 homeless people at $5000 each. Construction is not the problem. Politics is the real issue.

https://www.nps.gov/prsf/learn/historyculture/1906-earthquake-relief-efforts-living-accommodations.htm

Only if we could diversify hubs…

Build an underground city :blush: can be done :yum: but not sure is a good idea in earthquake infected SFBA.

Here ya go, @tomato

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/02/28/google-modular-housing-mountain-view-bay-area.html

@Elt1 would have been the perfect guy to advise!

Prefab is coming, whether @Elt1 says so or not…:grin: